[Blocker] 'Removing Project Public API' creates memory leak and eventually causes entire system to crash

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Assets

Summary

Importing assets from Unreal Engine causes UEFN to go through an extra step when uploading. This extra step causes a massive memory leak that almost immediately eats 16+ GB of system RAM and then crashes the entire system.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open any Unreal Engine project
  2. Export an asset from the content library to a UEFN project
  3. Open UEFN and place the imported object in the world (the more it is placed, the faster the memory is taken)
  4. Launch a session
  5. Keep an eye on UEFN in task manager - it will immediately start using many gigabytes of memory until eventually the system will hard reboot.

Expected Result

The ‘removing project public API’ process should complete normally, and then a session should launch with the new assets.

Observed Result

100% of system memory is instantly used by UEFN, causing freezes, stutter, or even hard shutdowns to occur.

Platform(s)

PC

Additional Notes

I managed to capture this bug on video before my system crashed. When I click ‘Save Selected’ at the 28 second mark, watch the memory usage go so high that it actually goes past Task Manager’s max displayable limit!
This also seems to have really messed up my system’s taskbar.

Video: https://youtu.be/Hgwk8APBvlE

I’m seeing this behavior as well. It’s a well-described bug ticket. Nothing to add.

Has a fix been found?

Hi ,
When trying this from a Unreal Engine 5 project.

1. in UE5 export the asset as an FXB and import via the UEFN Content Browser for FBX assets
  2. Click on 31.20 assets validate/fix and convert to UEFN

Trying this may not have a good result then try

1. Open UEFN Create Blank project notes the path to the content folder of the Blank project
  2. Open UE5 Project and Migrate function.
  3. Select the UEFN Content path and Migrate from UE5 to UEFN 31.20
  4. in UEFN 31.20 Validate Assets by trying to Launch
  5. Fix the migrate assets using the “Run” in Fix Validate Asset Errors

Trying any other way like using Windows File Explorer will simply crash UEFN
with an Asset Exception Crash