Blender to Ue4: Missing Material Slots!

They were separate objects, but when merging them, I still had the same problem. (I merged them to make it easier to animate the chest to open in my game) As for the material bit, I assigned UVs to three different textures in blender. I will give you the .blend and pictures now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByFuEMyKNLbYQ21Wc3gxTGNtc28

As far as materials go with blender, I don’t have any experience, but in the past, I could just UV wrap different textures, and exporting it would be just fine. But sometimes this just doesn’t work, and I don’t know why.

I did not. Like i said, I have basically no experience using materials in Blender.

So I just finished making a model of a treasure chest in Blender. I have wrapped it’s textures and everything.

This model uses three textures, one that is a solid white image, pink boards, and then the texture for the keyhole. However, when I import this model as an FBX into Unreal, I only have one material slot instead of the three I need! What is going wrong? Is there something I’m overlooking in Blender?

I would be happy to provide someone with the .Blend or .FBX if they need it to answer my question.

By the way, I’m aware that a workaround would be to uncheck the “combine meshes” option when importing, but this doesn’t actually solve the problem as to why there’s only one material slot in the first place. It’s really annoying to have to reassemble the model in UE4!

How is your model setup in Blender:

1: Is it 1 object or 3 separate objects?

2a: If it’s 1 object, did you make 3 materials AND assign your UVs to each material?

2b: If it’s 3 objects, can you just merge them in Blender before exporting?

If you still got trouble, I can check the .blend for you.

I just checked the .blend and I see your chest is 1 Armature and it has 1 object (Top) which is basically your whole Chest Mesh.

Just to make sure, in your original file, did you assign the 3 material slots in this picture?

Because they are empty in the .blend you uploaded.

Alright, this tutorial shows exactly what you have to do!

Thank you for this! I’m glad I kept the .blend file of the model still separated. I’ll have to re-animate it again, but that won’t be a problem.

Thanks! I was looking for that