Blender and Substance painter to UE artefacts. Showing edges on flat surfaces.

Hi. My Kriss Vector asset made in Blender and textured in SP has shading artefacts from Low poly despite looking perfect in SP viewport and render.

In SP I enabled Compute tangent…, DirectX, exported in 8 Bit and Unreal Engine Packed. In UE I disabled sRGB on Packed textures.

In Blender I applied shade smooth to the Low Poly model.

Blender Low Poly

Imgur

Blender wireframe

Imgur

Substance Painter

Imgur

Unreal Engine

Imgur

Help is appreciated. I am dealing with such random shading artefacts through our my assets. If you need any other info I am happy to supply.

Maybe using Blender’s Weighted Normal Modifier could help.

Tutorial here:

1 Like

Thanks for leading me the right path. I just applied Auto smooth at 60 Deg. Now the shading artefacts are gone because it flat shades on flat surfaces. I didn’t expect such beautiful normals, as I thought having sharp edges would show in the final bake but it’s barely noticeable. Weighted normal sadly didn’t work at all in my case.

I guess it all comes down to modeling practices and not to reduce the poly count on the low poly too much to get these shading artefacts.

Blender screenshot of the low poly with high poly normal map. Perfect shading. So in UE5 it should look even better :stuck_out_tongue:

Imgur

1 Like