Blacken Out World Except For A Specific Area

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a Top Down RPG game where I unfortunately ran into a hurdle that I can’t seem to find my way out of yet. I am trying to achieve an effect similar to the one used in pillars of eternity and divinity original sin, where once the player enters an interior location, the outside world is covered in black and only that of the interior location is still visible: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/HANSY-Iv2Fnaf3lYoNlQzPeNFN_9hQbWP2wxB4pLNQXr87ru4JNImxVCTLz5zCpOPmaM8ukF9HZMacAil6ZT9ISjo-PhUV2nOQ25B8KAsQ

I managed to replicate this effect in two worlds now, the way I did it was that I changed the visibility of several black cubes surrounding the interior to visible once the player enters a house for example. While this solution worked, it was very fiddly and took a hell of a lot of time to tweak and set up perfectly. There must be a better solution than that. I looked into enabling a fog that would darken the world entirely and to mask that fog in the interior location but that doesn’t seem as a possibility. So I thought, what better to do than ask the question here and see if there’s someone more informed than I in these matters.

Thank you fellas.

BUMP! I really need some help for this