Blackboard key - SelfActor

Hello guys,

I have a very simple AI Setup. Everything works just fine, but there is something that I don’t understand. A “SelfActor” key keeps showing up in my Blackboard. I don’t use it for anything and everything works without it. If I delete it and restart the editor it shows up again, it’s recreated. I suppose that it’s needed for something under the hood, but I couldn’t find what. So, my question is: What uses it? I certainly don’t. Anyone having the same issue? Here are some screenshots to my BT and BB.

I’m seeing this in 4.18.1 as well.

There are multiple people experiencing this but I don’t know the exact conditions needed to recreate it consistently.

SelfActor just automatically appears in your blackboard variables sometimes and others it does not.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/98201/problem-with-moveto-selecting-object-key.html

Hi !

Well, I’m answering late but I’ll answer anyway just in case someone stumble on this question.

The “SelfActor” is meant to contain the actor the pawn controlled by the AI Controller. It’s kind of the AI’s ability to know who she is. I guess the Epic develloper thought it was an essential feature that all AI should have. And I guess it’s useful for most people

If you don’t need it, you can just ignore it. But for example, if you need to access any characteristic on any component of the bot, you can simply call the findcomponent method on the actor contained in self key.

1 Like