AI blackboard SelfActor?

So, there is always this mysterious SelfActor getting automatically added to the blackboard when there is a MoveTo task, and whenever this MoveTo task is clicked inside the containing behavior tree, and the worst thing is that whenever the MoveTo task node is clicked inside the containing the behavior tree, MoveTo actor will become SelfActor from the actual target actor I set. Also, when I manually remove this SelfActor from the blackboard, it just keeps coming back whenever I click the MoveTo node again!

Thanks!

Hello,

Just to clarify, you are saying that when you click your MoveTo task node, the Blackboard Key dropdown gets reset to SelfActor?
Is this issue only occurring for you in 4.10, or have you seen it in other versions?

Exactly yes to your first question, and in the blackboard drop down menu, the actual Actor does not even show up.

As to your second question, I only get to play with the behavior tree when I have upgraded to 4.10, and I haven’t played with 4.11 yet. So to me, 4.10 is the version I see this behavior.

Current workaround is to delete the MoveTo node and re-add it with the correct target actor specified, and be careful not to click on the node again.

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please provide some screenshots of your setup, including your Blackboard, Behavior Tree, AI Controller, and any other blueprints that you may have that are related to your AI setup?

77849-ue4_bb.png

The first two are when things go normally (by removing the MoveTo node manually, and delete the “SelfActor” from the BB, and then re-add the MoveTo node back)

The “SelfActor” reappears when I close the editor and reopens it, and it just appears as the 3rd screenshot shows.

Also attaching the text diffs:
diff0 is obtained after I manually delete the SelfActor from the BB
diff1 is obtained after I close the editor while the SelfActor is removed, and reopened the editor and the SelfActor is automagically added back again!

Another work around is that I created my own MoveToTarget task, which internally calls “AI MoveTo” function, and I use the output pins to finish execute respectively (in case of StopMovement is called somewhere). This seems to work perfectly.

I’ve attempted to reproduce your issue, but have not been able to do so. Could you please provide me with repro steps that I can use to reproduce this issue in a clean project?

Hello,

I am marking this topic as resolved for tracking purposes, as we have not heard from you in a few days. If this issue persists, feel free to respond to this thread. For any new issues, please create a new Answerhub topic.

Have a great day

I experienced the identical issue today while trying to complete the Making Game Ready AI part1 youtube tutorial. Using V4.10.4. Will try your work around.

Update: This seemed to be resolved after specifically setting the object variable I wanted to use with the MoveTo to type “Actor”. After that, I could select it in the MoveTo task dialog and it stopped creating mysterious SelfActor variables by itself.

Thank you for posting - I had the same issue and this resolved it (setting type to actor in blackboard explicitly)

This saved my life. THANKS !!