Black/Transparent squares when using bloom

Man, after troubleshooting and googling for the last hour I figured out that the reason I’m getting black squares/transparent squares in my render is a bloom related error.

I see 2-3 small black squares during the render calculation window, then when it’s actually viewed in png format, there’s a couple of overlapping semi-transparent squares visible.

Just starting this thread to attract attention to anyone else getting the same issue. Can it be fixed, what is it, what are we supposed to do with this?

2 Likes

Having the same issues. By the looks of it there is 3 options - it’s the lens flare trying to calculate even if it’s off or this is happening because of bloom intensity or your VRAM is flooded in the render queue. Try to turn off reflective materials, optimize LODs, Decrease Bloom intensity.

It’s pretty binary. Turn bloom intensity down to 0 and it goes, 0.1 it comes back. The line of error squares does seem to follow in a straight line, like the line of orbs/circles in a lens flare. Makes me think that in 5.2 there’s an issue rendering those little circles. That said, you’d think it would change based on sun angle and it doesn’t. Either way I’m calling bug here.

Here’s an interesting discussion on the subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/14phrtb/black_squares_when_rendering_with_bloom/

same problem here, did you find a solution yet?

In my case, Lens Flares and Bloom in PostProcessVolume(or Camera) crashes when I use both of them. So PostProcessVolume - Details - Lens Flares uncheck all then bloom working and black boxes also gone.