Black static/noise in shadowed areas?

I just created a procedural mesh in a clean empty 3rd person project, and I’m noticing moving black noise in shadowed areas.

Here’s a short clip

Note, it looks like a low quality video, but that’s actually the black noise in shadowed areas. I’ve tried messing with lumen, ambient occlusion, shadowmap resolutions, but I have no idea what this is or how to get rid of it.

It just subtly makes the whole project feel glitch/dirty like the old ssr, rather than a nice clean look.

How can I fix this?
Thanks!

Have you changed anti aliasing settings? Many of the light features require temporal accumulation to provide a clean resolve. This means you must have TAA, TSR, or alternatively some 3rd party plugin like DLSS. If you set AA to none, then things get very noisy.

I have actually set it to FXAA as it looks best on my cutout meshes (2D stuff).

It looks like my only options are TSA and TSR, but aren’t those worse for performance? FXAA looked beautiful for my needs but not if it causes that shadow artifacting. I’m not familiar with DLSS. Out of the 3 mentioned that work, could you suggest the one that’s the most performant? I’m going for a really low spec game.

Thanks!

DLSS / DLAA is Nvidias proprietary upscaling and anti-aliasing solution for RTX GPUs. It is generally considered the best, but cannot be used with non-RTX hardware. AMD and Intel also have similar options that may be available for other hardware: FSR and XeSS.
Performance and quality will vary, but TSR is UE5s standard AA and upscaling solution.

Good practice would be to include as many of them as position options for the user, since some may offer better quality while others offer broader comparability.

Oh right, forgot the user can select em, haven’t used unreal in 5 years :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks!