Download

Black smearing

I am experience a lot of smearing in a test on a dark room. a lot of more than i see in other dark demos, ¿anyone have a idea how to minimice that in a dark scene?

Smearing is an artifact of the hardware, but it’s been reduced a lot in recent SDKs. What version of UE4 and OVR SDK are you using? If you are using recent one, then try to stay away from pure black colors.

4.4.3/0.4.2

I will check with 0.4.3,

anyway in my demo seems worst than others i check.

As SiggiG said, see if you can raise your darkest colors slightly, for example I do this with an unbound PostProcess volume with Color Grading enabled, using a LUT tweaked just for the DK2 display (which frankly has very little shadow detail):

I use two different PostProcess volumes, a primary one for standard monitors and a secondary higher-priority one enabled only when a Rift is detected, which allows me to use a primary LUT to achieve the look I want, then adjust that LUT in photoshop to compensate for the DK2’s display. I’m still working on getting the DK2 display to look as nice in the shadows and low-contrast areas as they do on my monitor, but this hasn’t been easy considering my whole game is either dark, low-contrast, or both :wink: But it’s just a matter of adjusting the LUT.

And if it’s any consolation, Oculus are continually working to improve the SDK-level LUT to work around the black smearing that seems to be an inherent problem with the display hardware, as mentioned in the SDK 0.4.3 release notes: from https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16121

And chances are we’ll be dealing with a completely different set of problems with the DK3, CV1, etc as Oculus works with Samsung to tweak panels better suited for VR.

thanks i will check that and other things since i still have problems

any other idea are welcome.

I’m sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I’m stuck with a black smearing problem in my VR scene. It’s a very dark scene.

acatalept, did you have success in reducing the black smear effect with your LUT?

I’ve seen this a few times so here is how I do it:

Create a material and set the material domain to post process and the blendable location to before translucency

Create the material below

Add the material to the blendable section of your post process volume.

Simply change the clamp value till you stop getting smearing, this should allow you to keep your dark values without the smearing.

0a72967b851f04eafc4589319287ab7325eaa5ba.jpeg

This may not be the most efficient way of doing it but I haven’t run into any performance issues doing it this way.

Hope that helped.

Thanks Chillybody, exactly what I was looking for! Works great!

@Chillybody, thanks for sharing this excellent solution, much better than the hacks I’ve used in the past :wink:

For anyone struggling with this, I found that I had to click on the SceneTexture:SceneColor node and change it in the Details section to PostProcessInput0, and change the Blendable location to ‘After Tonemapping’. Also, for me, setting the clamp minimum to .04 virtually eliminated all black smear with almost no degradation in scene quality. It looks pretty bad in the editor, but looks great with the headset on. I’m really quite shocked at how well it works. Thanks Chillybody!

For those curious on the GPU impact, it’s adding roughly .2 ms to render time. I’ll take that trade off!