Birds

Try setting your game mode to “ThirdPerson_GameMode” in the world settings, and see if the birds are still acting up. Most likely you are setting up a non standard character setup and the references to “Player Character 0” need to be swapped out in the blueprints with whatever you are using. Is this a multiplayer game you are setting up? Look at the demo level and see whats different from your level in connection to the player, from the limited info you gave me I’m guessing this is where your issue is :slight_smile:

The Birds behavior changes based on the distance to the player, so if the player references are not correct the Birds will just fly away to the world origin (aka-you broke their brain) .
Out of the box Birds is set up for a single player game- where the player is “Player Character 0”. If you are using a different setup (like multiplayer) then you will need to replace the references to “Player Character 0” with whatever your using for your character labels.
Here is an example of a node you need to Swap out
2c0f5afcf8cacf4353bcb75690eeeff6fb7ac5cc.jpeg

Auto Posess Player was set to “Disabled” as I want the game to start wherever the camera is in editor. I have set it to Player 0 and tried again, nothing changed. I get the same errors and the birds fly away when I get near to the exact oposite direction of where I come from but they go straight and don’t come back. I noted you say set the game mode to Third Person. My game is First Person. Would that be the reason?

These are the errors.

Try the stay in air birds only in your level and see if you still get issues. The stay in air birds don’t care about the player.
Those errors show up when a birds logic can’t solve itself. The bird cant find the player or one of the targets. You may want to double check those targets are set up as well.
Also try enabling the Auto Posses Player just for troubleshooting.

Then I get errors like these;

The bird flies straight towards the centre of the map.

And you have several sky and ground targets around your level? You can see in those errors that the bird is unable to find an Array Item (probably a sky or ground target), AKA- I don’t know where to go because there is no place to go to. This looks like the exact same issue that jeff had (see above).

I did with Gound to Air Crow. And now I added all three targets near Stay in Air Crow. I have also built navigation. Nothing has changed. Is it possible that I may be adding the targets the wrong way? I am just dragging the blueprints to the map. Maybe I have to do something additional? Does this asset pack have a tutorial?

Please do look closer at how the demo level is working. That is your tutorial. Something in your level is set up differently, and yes you just drag them into your level, ground targets on the ground, sky targets in the sky, and perch targets on high places (more than one of each).
Also for troubleshooting try setting your game mode to “ThirdPerson_GameMode” in the world settings, and the default pawn class to ThirdPersonCharacter. I’m trying to narrow down on what’s causing your issues :slight_smile:

Fixed it! Before I only migrated the blueprints (and of course automatically what’s connected to them) to my project. Now I migrated the whole Birds folder, and now I’m having no trouble. Works great! Thanks for your help.

How funny. That would do it. Well I’m glad to have the info here for anyone else who runs into this issue :slight_smile:

Really improved everything with the update.

I would remove the faulty Epic tree (Open World Demo) from your maps … they have overlapping UVs and cause slow loading. Thanks for the Seagulls, and the Perching.

Recommendations for next update or add-ons … more sound variations for each bird to allow for randomization in sound cue (one Seagull sound goes from fantastic to annoying real fast). Current BPs work flawlessly, could augment in the future with BPs for soaring (tight circles on air currents, quick bobbing wings, but only one or two flaps every few minutes), flying in V formation, landing and takeoff from water, diving into water, dunking head into water. And add-on Bird packs, Ocean (Pelican), Predatory (Vulture, Hawk, Eagle), and Biome specific like Rainforest or Aussie (Cockatoo, Kookaburra, Galah, Parrot). Would not rush to get anything out, you set the bar high, so I would try and maintain the current quality in meshes and animations, which are very convincing!

Great job, a seller that actually listens and responds to comments…what a novel idea on the Marketplace! I believe I have some fish to buy!

Bird package looks great and happy in the way its setup right now with the birds running from player, etc.

but might want to use one of the crows as a companion for the player - so would like to be able to add an attack animation for the crow. Is that something that is possible for me to do with this package?

Basically just want to know if I can export crow’s skeletal mesh from the ue4 editor and import the crow FBX file into 3dmax - adjust the bones and then re-import the attack.fbx animation and it will all work with existing crows skeleton mesh, etc.

Thanks.

Yes wrfstudios thats exactly how you do it :slight_smile:
just export the Skeletal mesh in the Meshes folder (SK_Crow).
Right Click > Asset Actions >Export
then import the FBX file in your 3D package.
when Exporting the new animations remember you only need to export the skeleton.
Hope that helped.

And CrashA51 I traded out that tree for the simple one from the blueprint demo, so now load times are greatly improved. That Open World Demo tree sure is pretty though.

Hi there…
Very good asset , thank you man , but I have some questions and suggestions if I may to …
*does the birds deal with collisions , I mean it looks like they are flying throw walls as tongucci said ,and maybe floors too, is there an easy solution for that?

• it will be great if we can shoot them and kill them too :slight_smile: I mean to fly away if we don’t hit them ,and kill them if the bullets hit them
    thanks again

Right now each bird does a down-forward trace (while flying to random targets) and gets upward thrust if it gets a hit, so you can increase your trace distance or thrust amount to fit your environment. If you are mindful of where your placing your sky targets you can avoid most issues.
You can also set-up a multi-trace system (Shameless plug for Fish) if your looking for an obstacle avoidance system :slight_smile:
Also Birds has the physics asset already set up- so you can always ragdoll on weapon trace hit, or toggle visibility and set off a particle effect… You bird murdering monster :)~

Great asset…however, birds keep flying through walls!!!

CharacterArtist128 –

I purchased Birds 2.0 and am very pleased with it :). You did a fantastic job on this asset. I’m having a problem, though. The flying birds seem to fly through the walls of a castle I built. I tried setting collision on the walls to BlockAllDynamic … then tried BlockAll … doesn’t seem to matter - the birds still fly through the walls :(. Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks…and keep making more assets like this one.

FuzzyTom

After seeing that a few of you are having issues with Birds flying through things I have come up with a rather elegant solution that piggybacks on the single trace that we are already doing.
After some more testing I’ll post a video of the fix in action, and submit an update by weeks end or so :slight_smile:

Thank you FuzzyTom, Also keep your eyes out for “Rodents” - coming soon :).

What started out as a simple fix has turned into a pretty great update. Now when the Birds get a down trace hit they get vertical thrust as well as a variable pitch adjustment.
This behavior piggybacks on top of the trace we were already doing, so this enhanced behavior comes without any additional processing cost.
This new behavior is also very modifiable, you can change the draw distance and vertical thrust amount to fit any environmental condition. Just be sure that you place your Sky Targets higher than your Birds avoidance draw distance.
I will submit this update next week, in the mean time here is a quick video showing Birds v2.5 in action :slight_smile:

watch?v=wWCy572f50I

thx for this update ! really looking forward to it !!!
some basic questions that i came along:

• is it possible to exchange the birds models with my own birds ? what kind of steps do i have to take.
    (means i have a tucan and want it to work with your great kit)

kind regards
stucki