Billboard Material with alpha mask and make it fade with Dynamic Material Instance

Greetings!

At first I was using a regular billboard component (see left actor). Everything was fine with the way it looked, I used a simple png texture and the billboard looked the way I wanted. All I could do was make it visible or not visible when pressing a button for example.

Now instead I want to achieve this with a Billboard Material (right actor) because I want to make it slightly transparent in the beginning and fade appearing fully when pressing the button. My problem is I don’t know how to make so it appears like the normal Billboard texture, with a nice cutoff edge.

I already kind of figured the fading effect with more simple materials like for a wall. See this image:

Thanks in advance for the help. If you guys have any good tutorial videos on materials with blueprint, that’s also welcome.

I actually found out how to apply the alpha mask on the material but my next problem is when I put the parameter on 0.2 for opacity it looks greyish. I want it to retain it’s colors

334744-3.jpg

found it!

1 Like