Best way to switch between Lumen and baked lighting in game

I am wondering if anyone has managed to master any techniques for switching between Lumen and baked lighting in game.

I have added this feature to my game so as to allow users on lower end hardware to benefit but my implementation seems to be very tempramental. I have baked lighting on each map and use ‘set global illumination quality’ from game user settings as well as as setting gi method to ‘None’ in the post process volume (Via blueprints). I have noticed that setting global illumination scaleability settings to low (0) seems to turn off baked lighting as well so have to set it to Medium (1). This seems to work somewhat when gi is also off in the post process volume but there still seems to be some Lumen GI going on (weird artifacting)

Also the performance difference between Lumen on and off is not as large as I hoped so I was wondering if there is anything else that can be turned off to aid performance on lower end systems.

Has anyone else managed to find a good workflow for this?

1 Like

I think you can maybe use a combination on BPs to control Lumen etc, and lighting scenarios

1 Like

I THINK MAYBE BAKED LUMEN IS JUST AS GOOD AS LUMEN

Thanks for the reply

I don’t actually need the lighting to change in any way, I just want the user to be able to switch to baked lighting for performance reasons. I have nearly got it working by setting the Gi quality to low, turning off lumen in the post process volume and setting the skylight to stationary but the lighting on any moveable objects looks too bright. I can turn off realtime capture in the skylight to fix this but it cant be turned on and off in blueprints and having it off makes lumen reflections look bad!

There has to be an exact method to get this working correctly but I cant seem to quite hit the nail on the head!

Well I’m kind of thinking of just using baked lighting but Lumen looks better on moveable objects like my character arms/weapons and enemies. Will have to do some more experimentation…

YEA

If you want to switch to baked, you need the lightmaps to show. And then go away again when you switch to dynamic. Hence, streaming with scenarios.

I’m experimenting with something similar, when you switch Lumen off you need to compensate by adjusting the skylight. Problem is, that adjustment is up or down depending on whether you’re inside or outside.

There is no baked Lumen.

OHHHHHHH OK

1 Like

WHAT DO YOU GUYS , AS CLEARLY LIGHTING PROFESSIONALS,

WHAT DO YOU CALL LUMEN WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF? HOW ABOUT WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING SCARY NEARBY

IS IT A DIFFERENT NAME IF ITS A SPOOKY GAME

Yeah definitely. The lightmaps are showing ok but I realised the skylight when set to moveable was overpowering them. Setting the skylight to stationary looks pretty good on anything with baked lighting but you lose the ssao you get with moveable so enemies look a bit too bright. I wish there was a way to turn off real-time capture in blueprints as this also helps. I’ll have a look in to scenarios too…

1 Like

You can just reduce the intensity a bit?

You can turn off RTC manually, but then call ‘recapture’ from blueprint when it’s needed.

I did initially reduce the intensity but it still looked wrong. I could also turn off RTC but it looks wrong when Lumen is used, especially reflections. I think it is required for certain features in Lumen to work

1 Like

Ah sorry, you did say that… :slight_smile:

You said that lumen is off when using medium settings for Gi… Interesting because moveable skylight looks ok when using medium…

would be good if there was some documentation about exactly what each quality setting does

No worries, I’m confusing myself with all this to be honest!

Actually just found it under the Lumen performance guide… Would like to know what the exact difference between medium and low is tho

EDIT! Or I could just read further down the page before I comment! Low uses un-shadowed skylight !

1 Like

BOOM! :smiley:

1 Like

Ha ha, you know what, I think in future I need to just read a few more things before posting !

Thanks for the help!

1 Like
1 Like