Best computer specs needed for building lighting?

Hi,

I’m using an Alienware laptop with the specs of:

1TB SSD - Epic Games Launcher Installed on.
1TB HDD - Unreal Projects Saved on.
GTX 980
RAM 16GB
Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60GHz
64 BIT OS

It seems to run awesome with UE4 and all other programs but, when I try to build my UE4 projects lighting at the landscape resolution of 16, it takes about 4 hours to complete and my computer gets quite hot.
I need to bake the Landscape Resolution atleast 32 Resolution, so that the power lines shadows will appear onto the Landscape. I have got the shadows to cast onto the landscape but it looks to have some gaps and not quite there.
Like this ___ ___ ___ ___ ___.

So do I need a desktop that doubles the spec’s of this current Alienware PC I’m using to perform 32 Res?

Any info is much appreciated!
Thanks! -

I think this is no hardware issue, but shadow settings if wires shadows* are not on ground as you need.

You can read more here A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums

Any computer is enough for “baking” games with large maps like this. You have to wait, you can upgrade (not big difference, you will wait hours anyway), or on large level use dynamic lighting only, preferred solution. With correct shadow/lights settings you can have better effect than with baked lights and not good settings. However, here a lot of limits of course.

Hi,

So its normal for it to take a while to build? Even when it’s just on preview?

Thanks!

Yes. I’m working on game with dynamic lights only (large open world) but I did few tests and it need always some time even for small map. In other engine I build maps relative small and build time 4-6 hours was normal even if textures was much lower resolution and map size was limited. However you should read more about level optimization for build, because some faults can make build time much longer. And many features not worth to use, because are barelly visible in game but can make build time much longer. In short words - 1. build can take very long time even on good specs. 2. read and check tutorials how to optimize level for build. 3. decide - you need baked light or not.

I see what you mean.
Thank you Vaheva for your help!!!
I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Can this laptop:-

Run UE4?

you post doesnt contribute to this thread, it is also not an answer. as for answering if it can run the engine id go with no. without even opening the link (flipkart doesnt sound like a reputable site) i can tell it has a dual core which doesnt meet the quad core requirement for ue4. it also has no mention of dedicated graphics in the link. and as a last point laptops aren’t officially supported anyway.

now next time you have a question start your own thread, post details, and do some research beforehand. its quite easy to find the recommended spec for ue4 then compare components via sites like gpuboss toms hardware and many others.