Being an Indie

Hello, Martina here! I’m the Epic for Indies initiative manager and most importantly a former indie developer. As I see it, being an indie is about embracing creativity, passion, and the freedom to explore your own vision. It’s also about taking risks, experimenting with unique ideas, and crafting games that resonate with your personal experiences and stories. I’m here to invite you - INDIE DEV- to become a part of our community where we value collaboration, support, and shared learning.

Whether you’re just starting out or have years of experience, there’s a place for you here. Connect with fellow developers, share your projects, and learn from each other. Together, we can celebrate the indie spirit and encourage one another to create amazing games that leave a significant mark on our players. Come introduce yourself on our forums and become a part of our community!

10 Likes

glad you joined the community

I am a bit confused? Is this a call for people to become part of some new Epic’s Indie Dev Community you forget to post a link to? Or are you just asking people who are already on this forum to become part of this forum? :thinking:

You mentioned " Epic for Indies initiative". Is this some new thing we should expect to be announced?

1 Like

She posted an search engine for getting in touch for local game devs via Discord, in another thread. In a way, it’s kind of useful; but I really don’t care much for that app. Plus, the 3 in my state are in areas that I’ll never live in

And a!so, they’ve created an new, (probably redundant) subforum and they’ve launched their own Discord server. I get that they mean well, but then again it’s their own forum

1 Like

Thanks. I guess I am getting old but to me Epic Community overall seems to have overgrown into a maze. There’s just so many different weird modes and sections of this site I have no clue where half of the content resides.

I get it now. The Epic for Indies is new “sort of forum mode” where the posts can be seen both from the Unreal Engine forum section and Epic for Indies forum section. So when you arrive to this thread from the regular Unreal Engine forum mode, it’s very confusing to know what’s going on.

TBH, what would help me, as an Indie developer, would be if Epic stopped fracturing community into more sub communities, and cleaned up this community site instead. All I got is yet another segregated space (with its own separate discord server) to hunt for new posts and content in.

4 Likes

Well, stuff like this has been going on for years. Usually, it gets shunted off to Discord or another app. But late!y, it’s been an bit of an obligation to have one of these apps if you want to get somewhere