Behavior Tree AI and Simulating Physics

Hey everyone!

I’m super stuck here and I’d love your insight on this. I have an AI Behaviour Tree running some simple MoveTo commands that are moving my pawn around the map. I’ve discovered that it only works if Simulating Physics is NOT on. Fine, the controller needs to freely move the pawn without physics getting in the way.

But I’m trying to simply hit the pawn with a projectile and send it flying with a RadialForceComponent on the bullet. This actually does need physics to work. But simply switching on SetSimulatingPhysics(true) on the mesh at runtime when they collide, then FireImpulse() from the radial force has no effect.

If the physics is on before hitting play then the impulse works fine but then the AI Behaviour tree doesn’t move the pawn, even if in code I turn simulate physics back off. Once physics is on then that’s it and it no longer moves.

So ultimately, I just want to shoot a patrolling pawn, launch it on impact, then have it patrol again. That’s it. I just want to figure out how to combine physics with the behavior tree because it seems like the features are mutually exclusive. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you!!