Beginner's Question on Shadows

Hello-
I’m in the default ThirdPerson project. I use the “alt” key method to drag a copy of one of the cubes, and it casts a shadow just fine.

Then I create a cube using the basic cube mode. I set all the properties to be the same as the cube which was already in the level, but, for some reason it does not cast a shadow, either in the editor, or in “play.”

I’m placing it right next to the existing cubes and stairs and stuff, so I don’t think I’m out of the bounds of any of the lights. I even tried swapping the position of the cubes.

I’m wondering if anyone sees anything that I’m doing wrong here, or anything obvious I should check for. Thanks.

Edit: I created a new empty level, and added a plane, a light, and some cubes. The cubes cast shadows here. However, I still don’t understand why the cubes in the other level (above) are not casting shadows.

Maybe the first level needs to have lightning build?

It sounds like you’re not understanding the light mobility. Here’s a link that will explain it.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/LightMobility/index.html

You should watch some of the beginner tutorials from Epic, or read through their documentation. It will save you a lot of time and headaches in the long run.