Beginner: Tessellation strength vs. amount

Hello everyone

I just started learning UE4 from the beginning. Coming from Cinema 4D, ZBrush, Unity (a little bit), Substance and the Adobe CC-Suite, having a Video-Production and 2D- and 3D-Animation background of over 15 years (making a living out of it), I have a solid knowledge about how things in 3D-Space work. Jumping into Unreal is exciting for me and I’m looking forward for the cool interactive stuff I can hopefully produce.

Can someone briefly explain to me what the difference is between tessellation strength and amount? From Cinema/Corona I know the Parameters for the height map are the min and the max level of the displacement (in centimetres). But now in UE4 I have two values that behave differently but I can’t really see what exactly the difference is.

Thank you for your help and have a great day!

Cheers
Maurus

Not sure, where you have found the strenght and amount values, but in the material, the tesselation node basically subdivides the mesh to create more polygons (if you first have set the tesseleation method to something other than “none”). It takes the polygon and divides it into more, and how much more, that depends on your chosen input parameter.

The world displacement is then used to define, how strong the actual deformation/displacement should be, aka, how much the vertexes should be pushed in and out. And in order to get finer details, you basically need many polys, so a higher tesselation multiplier is required, if your mesh is pretty low poly / does not come with much polys, that can be used to create finer details, or any displacement.

Here is the documentation:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…_12/index.html

And those two in action:

(those aren´t the best textures, but it´s just for demonstration ^.^ )

Aaah yes sorry, I was referring with strength and amount to a tutorial I found on youtube. Amount is referring to tessellation Multiplier, and Strength to World displacement. Your description helped me clarify this, many thanks! So with the Tessellation Multiplier it is not necessary that I subdivide my imported geometry for the poly-displacement. And I already thought that this seems a bit odd. However, now I get it.

Many thanks!