Hey everyone, I have been working on this kart racer for a little while and I think its about ready to start showing. Target platform is PS4 and PC. I actually started building this game in Unity with a programmer. But after the programmer left I decided to switch over to Unreal and see if I could rebuild it in Blueprint. I have no coding knowledge and everything I have made so far has been in blueprint. I am currently working on this solo which has actually been really fun. Blueprint is incredibly powerful and the shader and particle systems have really let me stretch my artistic muscles!
This is gameplay of single race showing off the current kart system and environment. The Kart is built from scratch as the default vehicle blueprint didn’t do exactly what I wanted it too. Currently I have implemented;
- Drifting system which gives the player greater control and increases speed
- Splipstreaming, the kart can draft behind players
- Wheel suspension, the wheels will move up and down based on terrain
- Melee, the player can swipe left and right to hit opponents, they can also ram the player causing them to swerve
- Track tracking, I have a spline drawn out on the track which the bears all use to figure out how far along the track they are and what position they are in.
- Ground detection, the kart will detect what kind of ground it is on and play different particle effects and react differently
Weapons, there are four pickups currently only the rocket is implemented fully. The rocket will fire from the player and when it detects an enemy it will track towards it. The other weapons are honey trap which you can drop behind you, shield and speed boost. They are all implemented in that they perform their core functionality.
AI, Basic AI is in. The bears will navigate around the track but thats about as far as I have got with it.
There are multiple game modes which the karts detect and will display different information, i.e.
Checkpoint: Arrow pointing to next point, point score
single race: lap position and counter
time trial: time counter, best lap
Anyway thats enough rambling! Here is some gamplay and screenshots
Would love any critique or opinions you have on the game so far
Thanks for reading