Basic unreal apartment wip

how you doing with those BSPs?

Slowly coming together :smiley:

f9b2bd85589c330dd4d40b6d4ba94029024a7639.jpeg

3d37e2acd84e417692629b63eeeb83049195088e.jpeg

I got a wall trim piece custom made on Fivver, what do you think, im trying to do my floor in BSP sections so I dont have to just have one floor texture, i can have a different one for the kitchen, living area etc

It seems like there was some “design corrections”, and some things seems to be out of scale also. What is the purpouse of this job? just experimental?

If so, dealing with lighting should be an important topic, more than model details.

This is just my first time doing anything in Unreal Engine 4 and I just graduated and im in limbo looking for a job so I wanted to do some stuff in 3d for my portfolio, what looks not scaled correctly and whats wrong with the lighting?

Well, about the scale… there some kind of… plinhts? and the… pergola/highway struture? …but these things could be subjective.

About lighting, when you -build light- you put lightmass to calculate the global illumination (GI) of the scene. What you are seeing (or what I can see in the screenshots) seems to be direct lighting with -let´s say- no totally black shadows. There is no light “bounces”, GI is used to add light inter-reflections and to represent light in a much real-like way.

To use lightmass you need first to define a lightmass importance volume, to narrow the computation area.

There are also light portals (v4.11) to specify openings which where the lighting computation should be focused on interior spaces.

Lightmaps are used to store the lightmass results. In meshes and BSPs you can set the lightmaps resolution. In meshes you need a defined uv channel to store lightmaps. (3d space xyz projected in a 3d model is named uvw)

And there is MUCH more. It is not a simple topic, so I recommend you to take a look at it and be perseverant.

Here are the screenshots of my post process volume, sky sphere, skylight, lightmass settings

Lightmass force no precomputed lighting on means lightmass out.

What settings would you recommend i use, do you have any good go to settings?

starting by the defaults is a good way to go, lighting quality high in the building tab…

I am getting weird shadows when I get up close to objects in the editor, here is picture of what happens, does anyone know how to fix this. I am using UE4.11 and default lighting. Anyone know how to fix this?

It can be vigneting (in the postprocess volume) if the screenshot is just an area of the total view. If you got that shadow all around the view surely it is.

Also it could be ambient oclusion.

How do I get rid of these weird artifacts on my walls, Ive tried everything I can think of but I just cant get rid of them.

Have you tried with lightmaps resolutions? with BSPs lower values means higer resolutions. Try with 1, maybe 0.5 or 0.25 in floors.

If these walls are static meshes then uv maps can be the problem.

So when using bsp i should use a small number, but what about when i convert them to static meshes can I raise the resolution, because ive been keeping the bsp resolution at its default 32 and then raising it to 512-1024 once I convert it to a static mesh?

Double clicking on the mesh in the content browser you acces to the mesh editor. There you can visualize it´s uv maps by clicking the uv button. You can take a look there a and post a screenshot if it´s necessary.

One thing I havent done is change the UV channel in my converted meshes, am I supposed to be doing that as well?