Ballistics impacts & other violent VFX/Particles

This looks great.
Some questions:

1. Are the effects easily* scalable in size, the volume they take up?
  2. Is it modular? If I for example only want to use the bullet penetration system and oil fx, can these parts be easily migrated from the template?* I would like to prevent having a tangled mess of folders in the content browser.

*easily in this case, someone with beginner experience in the material editor and blueprints.

@SonKim
Thanks! Will be trying out fragmenting bullets soon - first have to get back to 1.1 content however :slight_smile:

Black cat:

1. Each impact comes with a small/medium/large variant already, however if you wanted to change things even more then the easiest way would be to go into the particle system in question and increase both the “initial velocity” and “start size” parameters of the emitters. I did wonder about linking those parameters to the projectile blueprint but that then begins to bind the FX to the example blueprints and I’m not sure that’s a good thing. At least not as a prerequisite. Which leads me to…

2. The Impact FX at their core are just particle emitters to be taken as you want. If you wanted to completely ignore the example blueprints you could just migrate one emitter over and trigger that however you wish. You could just migrate the FX you want over and then put the assets into any folder structure. The way I would do it would be to make a clone of your destination project, migrate what you wanted to that, move the assets to whatever folders you wanted in your own project. Then migrate that over to your final project. You could skip the clone step but from my perspective it’s to help avoid any content browser “garbage”. The explosive canister is a self contained blueprint that can also just migrate over to your project alone if desired.

Now, things like the penetration system etc will be somewhat more indepth. If you wanted to port that over to a completely different projectile system or something, then you would likely need to know some blueprint, at least enough to plug it into the other system in the right place etc :slight_smile: I’m just prototyping the penetration stuff now, so it’s early days of course, but currently the example blueprints and ammo BP’s are all build on top of the original UE4 example classes.

Just updated gumroad with an interim 1.05 release, with the explosive canister blueprint first release and the 4.11 alpha rendering fixes (among other little fixes). Now back onto getting all the impact sounds and decals for 1.1 sorted.

just picked this up on gumroad - can’t wait to integrate with current project. demo level was fun! and can’t wait till you get the impact sounds and decals sorted out. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Should have those sorted end of next week :slight_smile:

Just bought it on Gumroad. How to access it? I downloaded it, and extracted the folder into my unreal projects, but it won’t show up after restarting the launcher. Using 4.11.2

EDIT: shows after launching the engine itself.
However loading the project is stuck at 45% for several minutes now. Is that something I have to be worried about?

Hello! Ok, so are you trying to open the example project itself, or migrate the contents into one of your own projects?

To open the example project, the easiest way would be to go to the extracted folder location and double click the project file itself (BallisticsVFX_1_0_5.uproject). This will then load up the project with the correct UE4 editor version… it should also then populate the project into your project browser for easy access next time. Let me know if that helps or not :slight_smile:

It loaded on my second attempt, got stuck for a long time on 45% then at 95%. Took about 8 minutes and it is now busy compiling 8000 shaders. I hope things in unreal do not load this long after the assets have been discovered.

That’s normal for opening a project for the first time (I remember some of the unreal example projects taking AGES to load up for me on first attempt :slight_smile: ). Once it’s compiled the shaders etc, it’ll only need to compile them again if they are modified.

Question, the bullet physics, and effects attached to the weapon itself are still wip and not in the pack yet?

Yes, more FX coming in future updates. 1.1 update will include the gun flash/smoke/casings +more as well as the first sounds set for impacts, decals etc. The bullet penetration will come in 1.2 or so - just starting on those aspects.

Sounds great. A question about migrating assets. How do I correctly migrate so I get all of the particle effects working in a different project. Copying over the particles folder left some dependency issues, because the particles are not working as intended. Also do I get a message that shaders are still compiling when loading particles that only show up as grey boxes? So I can tell if the migration went wrong or whether it is just the shaders being compiled.

Edit, figured it out, just had to select my actual content folder. However 2 dependencies point to a folder called map or something.

Migration wise - are you trying to migrate the particles only, or the blueprint examples too (or the example projectile blueprints in particular). If it’s just the particles then it should be very simple…

The greyboxes are materials that have not yet compiled, they should no longer be grey boxes when compilation is completed - unless there is some issue with the material preventing it from compiling. That could occur if the particles are not migrated to your project correctly because UE4 tends to lose references to it’s textures inside materials (the meta data seems to get lost). https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Browser/UserGuide/Migrate/

You want to make sure you target the ‘content’ folder of your destination project and also make sure the target destination project is not open in UE4 (that seems to block some files copying over correctly).

ah, glad to hear you got it sorted. I’ll check out those dependencies - they may accidentally be in the wrong material folder. Once you have the assets into your project, you can move any files around and organize them however you wish (as long as you do it within the UE4 content browser, not windows explorer). UE4 unfortunately does have some apparent bugs with it’s content browser where deleted/moved folders can reappear later - I find in those cases I have to make sure they are deleted in the UE4 content browser again, then delete the zombie folders manually in explorer to prevent them coming back from the dead again and again! :smiley:

Oh I’ll also be uploading another update later tonight with some more little fixes, the main one being fixing an issue I discovered in the example ammo ricochet’s (the trajectory was not correct in some cases)

Question: The speckledemissive particles are very resilient to my attempts to lower their alpha. Tried color over life with the same settings from another particle emitter where the alpha works. Is it possible to tone down their alpha, or is the emissive getting in the way?

Hello, it’s definitely possible to tone it down, I just tried it and it seems to work ok but you need to bring the alpha’s curve down very low. If you want to do this globally across all particles using the speckled emissive, then opening the shader in the material editor you will find a “Master Opacity” node. If you bring the float value down you will notice it will begin to fade. There is also a node called “Sparkle”, if you bring that value down a lot you will see the speckles decrease in brightness - this might be the one you want to use actually, it won’t affect the haze of the material but will bring the contrast of the speckled aspects down (to zero if you so wish).

It seems particles in general are now a bit more resilient to the alpha curve than in 4.10 (i’ve found a couple of bugs in 4.11 actually, such as disabled emitters turning themselves on automatically at random times, that had me pulling my hair out last night, thinking It was my blueprints!).

Already made my own casing effects and muzzle flashes and your preview of ballistics looks very exciting. Does that include ballistics like bullet drop?

Yes, I’m adding drag to the later update, which will also make a difference too :slight_smile: However, the current projectiles in 1.0 already include bullet drop as an inherent property of the original projectile class. It may be hard to notice in the small confines of the test level but gravity does pull the bullet downwards. There is a float in the projectile blueprints if you open them and click on the ‘projectile’ component called “gravity scale”, you could multiply the gravity scale to add even more aggressive bullet drop if needed.

any update on marketplace status?