Baked Lighting Artifacts

Hi, I am currently trying to solve an issue with some high quality meshes while Baking Lighting in my scene. The only solution I have found so far has been raising the lightmap resolution of the mesh to cleanup some of the artifacts, but I’ve reached the limit 4096 in unreal, and I am still seeing pretty bad shadows. Here’s some examples

64 resolution

1024 resolution

4096 resolution

Are there any ways that I could clean the shadows up further? or am I hitting the limit because of the size of my meshes?

EDIT:
It’s hard to see in the 3rd image, but when you get close to the mesh, you are still able to see those artifacts, just smaller and less noticeable from that distance.

I mean you could definitely have better lightmap UVs… what you’ve got seems… horrendous.

But yes, most likely you need to break it up into smaller pieces.

I see, I am working with large photogrammetry scan data, so the UV map is split into hundreds if not thousands of Islands… (with the mesh hitting around 6 mil polygons)

I’m not entirely sure there is a way that I could split the mesh into smaller pieces, with how the UV islands match up with the texture map. I’ve attempted to take a piece into blender to smart unwrap the mesh, and try to get a better UV to use as a lightmap. But I have yet to see blender actually finish due to its size.

Heres an example of what I’m working with lol

You can bake the texture to a new UV set. (In xnormal you can anyway, I assume its possible in blender/substance as well but I’ve never tried it)

I’d suggest you try chopping the mesh up into several pieces before you try unwrapping it. My suggestion would be to do it in ZBrush, as it generally has no problem with multi-million triangle meshes. Even just splitting it up into 4 squares would probably help considerably but the more the better.

Nightmare fuel lmao

1 Like

I’ll have to look into chopping this up, as our map is made up of 700 pieces like this one, and I need to find an efficient way to achieve this as to not take thousands of manhours on it. (since I am the only one on my team working on this specific hurdle…) but the possibility to bake the textures to a new UV map may be the move for me, to at least cleanup some of the mess I’m working with.

I was looking into baking static lighting to avoid using lumen, due to performance concerns. But the path sure is a treacherous one. Thanks for the help and a couple pointers in the right direction.

1 Like