Baked Lighting, AO, Two sided lighting - problems

Hello I want to ask about some old good technology like Two sided lighting, Precomputed AO.

Examples - Two sided lighting checked/unchecked in model Lighting tab.

1. Example show building with Two sided Lighting unchecked. - default. The Shadow from tree is to bright on building and not much with floor one.
  2. Example show building with Two sided Lighting checked! - Clean and proper results.
  3. This examples show Precomputed AO with high intensity. Left Building to bright, no AO at all. Right Building Two sided lighting - ON. Results are good.

…also two sided lighting affect baked ambient occlusion. Do we have to use ‘two sided lighting’ always to get more proper results using Precomputed AO?

The Diffuse boost generate no color bounce, or have very low visible impact from material. Just want to make some high color bounces scene but now is hard, any walkaround?

Best Regards
Paul Mroczek

All examples look alright, if you ask me, except the resolution could be higher in shadows. It depends what you’re trying to do in the scene. I was under the impression that two-sided lighting was mainly for translucency-based lighting and shadowing, and for translucent objects.

As far as color bounce, there’s at least one setting that allows for it to be controlled more discretely than having to use a walkaround. One of the options is:

Use it to replace one color of indirect lighting (post first bounce off the yellow house) with a different color that then gets put in the indirect lighting. Control it with the brightness of the color via color picker (from black to white), or indirect intensity somehow.

Another option is using Volumetric Lightmaps. Volumetric Fog in conjunction with volumetric lightmaps is capable of producing colored lighting for indirect lighting, and spreading the color of nearby objects or lighting into the scene according to parameters and your decisions. Here’s a link to the docs:

Thank You very much Mr. Preston
It is more clarify for me now. I also pump some more AO per object: Fully Occluded Samples Fraction
Thank You very much for You good heart :slight_smile:

Paul M

Two-sided isn’t always required. Light propagation volumes and changing settings related to indirect lighting and mesh distance fields would suffice, I think, in a ton of cases. But I just read that mesh distance fields aren’t usable on Intel hardware due to a restriction or bug of some kind. It may be fixed since the time of that warning.

Fully Occluded Samples Fraction worked! That’s cool. It’s also essential to consider how your scene is built with meshes and the floor / landscape. With one tree, and two small buildings, the number of bounces of light aren’t going to affect those objects as intensely as if it were a complete town / city of buildings and trees. The more objects, the more bounces is what I’m thinking. Hence, two-sided is probably a feasible solution for darkening shadows and intensifying the effects of indirect lighting…up to a point.

A light propagation volume could be utilized around the buildings and perhaps between the tree and the one building to control how much indirect lighting is affecting the whole scene. It could also be a damper to artifacts, and possibly low shadow resolution. LPVs might even be able to act as a color filter of the directional lighting. It’s only usable with directional lighting though, according to the docs.