Babylon project (provisional name)

Thanks, but I think it’s a problem relative to the polygon order, near works fine, far has this problem. The same problem with BSP.

Since long time I had an error in the directional movement, when the chararcters walks backwards and diagonally.

I had to reverse right and left in the directional node when walk backwards and play the animations in reverse.
A dot product in the tick to detect the backward movement and send it to the animtree.

Now it works properly, but sometimes crosses the legs in a strange way.

This is the “Devil Cat” model from 3Dfoin.com. This video is very very WIP (I got the model 2 or 3 hours ago).

This was only a test to see how it looks in the game, but it’s using the scripts from the human bots for roaming movement and fight.

Still there are no directional movement animations, nor the rag doll is well configurated, nor the foot placement, and they can talk with the player (as human bot).

I’m thinking about make a quick time event when the cat attacks, but I don’t like QTE very much.

nice.my zombie dog was adapted from the devil cat,

I don’t think a qte would spoil the gameplay if used sparingly,and if anyone can pull it off,its you.

there are a lot of people,myself included,that are very eager to play your game.

Yes, it’s a nice model, and at very low cost. I like how it looks in the game.

I will try the QTE, but I need to do some animations before.

I want to finish the game, but it’s difficult without 3d artists, so the progress is slow.

Yes, the cats can be your followers, and help you to fight. In the video, at the final, you can see two cats following to the girl. As they uses the same code that the human bots, can do the same.
Also, the cats are rideable (bigger cats). I hope to show in a video this weekend.

About the game, the aliens are inaccesible for the player in the first part of the history. You can see their ships flying, but can’t access to them. Then is a sword game, you only have swords, bows, axes, etc, to fight against others humans (and cats).

Forward the history, you can get alien weapons, and the game will be a shooter. More work for me, but the good thing is that all is done.

Gatito rideable:

And the ragdoll:

f**ks sake man.do you have no limits?:slight_smile:

the speed at which you advance is incredible.

I would be happy to make some meshes for you,although not characters as I couldn’t match the ones you already have.

other stuff,I can (probably) match.

give me an example to make and I will send a mesh for your inspection.

Not so fast as I wish… :slight_smile:

I have sent a message to you.

that’s why I’d like to team up with Cobalt here for a next project! :smiley: (once we’re done with our respective ones)
the solo route is a really hard one. it really feels neverending, and I wouldn’t want to do it again

The most dificult is to find 3d artists. In a project like this a programmer may be enough, but are needed 5 or 6 3d artists. And the most of them don’t want to work by royalty.

This is something that was pending to do, that the head don’t disappear when a character are decapitated (graphic content in the video).

Nice work.
But the soccer scene is so cruel.T_T

Some “Lamassu” statues from Turbosquid:

2fb0f1c3e6f85d9f5c6463dc1368b2f94d0489f4.jpeg

Added a mini map:

Another random shot:

This is a test with a new tree model from Polypixel3D.com.

I’m in the process of replacing all the foliage models. This one looks good, but isn’t optimised, 8000 triangles for the LOD0 and 3 materials. It’s difficult to mantain the 60 fps.

Each material is a aditional drawcall, so I’m going to try to reduce to 2 materials or one (using alpha masks).

This is the LOD transition, using screendoorfade. Another “artifacts” are produced by the translucency in material, with cascade shadows. I like the translucency effect, but there are this problem with the cascades. The solution are to remove the translucency.

You are right, at my dev speed, when finish probably all the people will have a nVidia 8K…

To go to Kickstarter is better that the game will be enough popular. If nobody know it, then nobody reach the page. I’m waiting to have a definitive game name, a oficial website, and then promote a bit.

Royalty are not working as desired, and Epic are only promoting UE4 games. Too many dificulties.

going for crowdfunding is a very tricky thing. not only do you have to finish the game (obviously), now you have to spend a lot of time and a big chunk of your newly acquired funds in producing goodies (fund tier rewards). it also means you have to spend a lot of time managing other people (the people you’re spending your funds on), making briefings, reviewing their work and providing feedback. little or no time is left for actual development, so you become a manager.
as a hobbyist I would argue that the beauty lies in actually doing the development.

another part of the problem is that unless your game becomes a commercial hit (something highly unlikely, rationally and statistically), your business model becomes that of a company in debt. in other words:

• if you make a game as a hobbyist and make some money, you can use it to make a second game, rinse and repeat. if you fail to make the game or if it just fails commercially, no money is lost and you can just start over as a hobbyist.
  • if you make a crowdfunding and then make the game, [unless it’s a commercial hit] the money is already spent in that game. to make a second game you need to do another crowdfunding. if you fail to make the game you suddenly owe a lot of money to a lot of people.

now I’m not saying crowdfunding is inherently bad, it works for some people. it can work for people with a name already attached to a brand. it can work for teams with people with a ‘company’ background, good at doing marketing (pre-funding) and management (post-funding). it can work for teams where main person (as a hobbyist, that’s you yourself) doesn’t mind being purely a manager and not a developer.
as a hobbyist, none of that works for me though.

@CobaltUDK: I don’t quite get why you’re replacing the foliage, as the old one seemed to be better looking in terms of polycount and shading. is it only because of performance?

in your video I see in the stat Unit that the ‘Frame’ is 16-20ms and the ‘Draw’ is always lower. are you sure it’s not the CPU that’s making the bottleneck? I recently made some CPU optimizations in my game (which is GPU-bound because of pure dynamic lighting and shadowing). it was about AI and some Tick stuff of physical actors, which mostly affected the ‘Frame’ and not the ‘Game’. it improved ~9 FPS.
two things to try: first uncap your FPS to have a better notion of highs and lows in your performance. then try the console command “playersonly” (by default F4) which disables a lot of CPU things (most notably physics and AI) leaving you with an almost “pure GPU” version of your game, and see how it compares