Avoiding Unwanted Filling in 3D Building Models

Hello, I recently started working with photogrammetry since last week. I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I have a question about something I couldn’t figure out despite my research.

I took photos of a building and tried to create 3D data from them. However, I encountered an issue where the sky in the images gets connected and fills in the backside of the building.

While I can solve the issue of the sky by masking it out from the original images, I want to create a model where the backside isn’t filled in, similar to the model shown in the link below.

I have been struggling to find a way to disable the ‘Closing Holes’ feature, and I couldn’t find it in the settings. I tried changing options like MaxEdgesCount, but it seems the software automatically fills in to a certain extent.

Is there any way to disable the automatic hole closing?
Or, is it that achieving a result like the one shown in the example requires completely different settings or images from what I have used?

Hi N0cturnalNati0n,
RealityCapture creates watertight meshes, so this fillings have to be removed in post processing.
You can try to use Select marginal triangle tool, which can be find under SCENE 3D/TOOLS/Mesh Model/Advanced

after that just filter the selection. You can also select the triangles manually or select the triangles according to the threshold value.

1 Like

Thank you! I will make use of the tools you taught me to eliminate them. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.