Automation Tool failed to run successfully

Hey Unrealistic Engineer,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you!

Hi! Sorry it once again took so long to return to this issue but I really believed that it would be quickly done once I began building it. So I downloaded the Unreal Engine GitHub source files and began trying to build the Engine from source for Mac with XCode but I just get this error every time. Here is the log file: [link text][1]

76103-unreal+engine+source+build+xcode+log.txt (21.6 KB)

Any idea what have I done wrong?

I’m going to run through the steps for setting up source UE4 with XCode, I’d like to make sure that no steps were missed:

Generate Project Files

• Run GenerateProjectFiles.command to generate the .xcworkspace file

Launch XCode

• Open the .xcworkspace file in Xcode
  • Double click from Finder Window
  • Open Xcode > File > Open > Select ProjectName.xcworkspace file

Build ShaderCompileWorker

• Change the Scheme to ShaderCompileWorker - Mac > My Mac 64bit
  • Select Edit Scheme
  • Configuration is set to Development
  • Hit Cmd+K to Clean
  • Hit Cmd+B to Build

Build ProjectName

• Change the Scheme to ProjectName - Mac > My Mac 64bit
  • Configuration is set to Development
  • Hit Cmd+K to Clean
  • Hit Cmd+B to Build

If you’ve gone through the steps with your source build and you’re still running into this issue after checking this, please review these AnswerHub posts and respond with additional updates:

• [AnswerHub: Mac UT Source Code][1]
  • [AnswerHub: OSX Failed to produce an item][2]

I also wanted to let you know that their is a bug in our system that showed up when searching for the error you’re having. (UE-23624) was entered as when using the Clean command in XCode it’ll prevent the editor from opening. I’m not quite sure if that’s applicable for your issue yet.

Looking forward to hearing back, thanks!

Why can't I compile the Unreal Tournament source code on my Mac? - Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums
[2]: Building on OS X: Failed to produce item: UE4Editor-UnreadEd.dylib - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

Hi! Thanks for getting back once again!

Yes, I managed to generate the project files and open the .xcworkspacefile but got stuck already in the ShaderCompilerWorker section. Cleaning succeeded but Build failed and it gave this same error just like it did last time: “Non-type template argument specializes a template parameter with dependent type ‘T’”. Do you have any idea what that means? I tried to it but couldn’t find anything that shed any light on it or how it relates to this problem.

Thanks!

Thanks for providing me with this additional information. We’re looking into this further for you! :slight_smile:

The old Clang compiler you have does not understand this code. From what I see the releases branch in GitHub is our 4.11 preview and for 4.11 we had to update the min requirements to OS X 10.10.2 and Xcode 7.2.

You could try grabbing 4.10 sources from GitHub, this should compile with Xcode 5, I believe, but even for 4.10 I’d advice updating Xcode to 6.2 (last version available for Mavericks).

Hi ZeroEightSix!

I downloaded 4.10 sources from GitHub and compiled it with XCode 6.2 but the build failed again and it gave this error this time:

Setting up Mono
Building UBT…
0 Error(s)
Building UE4EditorServices…
2016-02-08 08:21:24.283 defaults[2907:507]
The domain/default pair of (/Users/mikkolindstrom/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode, IDEBuildOperationMaxNumberOfConcurrentCompileTasks) does not exist
Running command : Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe UE4EditorServices Mac Development
Performing 16 actions (2 in parallel)
[1/16] Compile CorePrivatePCH.h
[2/16] Compile Module.Projects.cpp
clang: error: clang: no such file or directory: '2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk’error: no such file or directory: ‘2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk’

[3/16] Compile Module.DesktopPlatform.cpp
[4/16] Compile Module.Json.cpp
clangclang: : errorerror: no such file or directory: ‘2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk’:
no such file or directory: ‘2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk’
[5/16] Compile Module.UE4EditorServices.cpp
clang: error: no such file or directory: ‘2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk’
-------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: /Users/mikkolindstrom/Downloads/UnrealEngine-4.10/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4EditorServices.app/Contents/MacOS/UE4EditorServices
Total build time: 5.21 seconds
Command /Users/mikkolindstrom/Downloads/UnrealEngine-4.10/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Mac/Build.sh failed with exit code 5

Is there something wrong with my files?

Thanks!

Could you upload the full log as a .txt file? That would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Here’s the entire log: [link text][1]

78515-unreal+engine+source+build+xcode+6.2.txt (23.7 KB)

It seems to have some problem with my files: “no such file or directory”.

Please rebuild your ShaderCompileWorker, UnrealPak and UnrealLightmass. Let me know what happens once you’ve done this, thanks!

Every one of them failed, same error as usual.
[link text][1][link text][2][link text][3]

Should I try some other version of XCode?

79256-shadercompileworker_build.txt (21.9 KB)
[2]: 79257-unrealpak_build.txt (18 KB)
[3]: 79258-unreallightmass_build.txt (21.2 KB)

Could you verify that you’re on the 4.10 released version of source? When you’re working with Github, you do have the capability of obtaining a build that hasn’t been checked by QA which could mean you’d run into errors like these.

If you have pulled down a release version of source UE4, I would suggest starting your build over from scratch. Your project will not have a problem with this, as it’ll update to whichever version you pull down from Github.

Please make sure you’re following the proper instructions when build the engine from source. You can review the steps, to make sure you haven’t missed a step [here][1].

Building Unreal Engine from Source | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

Hey, sorry for the delay! I decided to try my luck with another computer and I actually managed to build the whole Engine from source on my friend’s Windows with Visual Studio and then I packaged the Samsung Gear VR project in the Engine and the build was finally SUCCESSFUL!

Yes, the name of the version I grabbed from GitHub is 4.10.4-release. It failed when I tried to build it with XCode but with Microsoft Visual Studio on my friend’s computer it worked! I think I will try a few more times to get it working on my Mac, otherwise I have to start using my friend’s computer for packaging :D.

How exactly do I start my build over from scratch? Sorry, but I really don’t know much about XCode. I tried to follow the steps but I can’t find “UE4Editor - Mac” from my Schemes, what I found was “UE4EditorServices - Mac”.

Thanks!:slight_smile:

You might need to build your version of GitHub again, or delete it and obtain a newer version of the Unreal Engine 4 through GitHub. If any of the files did not download properly, or were not set up properly through XCode, you could run into complications.

If you do try a fresh start on your Mac again and run into complications, please upload the new . If you make any progress on your current build and have additional questions, update those as well.

Good luck!

[GitHub Setup Documentation][1]

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

Ok, there’s one question that I need to know before I continue the Unreal Engine Source Build project on my own computer.

It turns out that there was another problem waiting after a successful build: After I had put the Oculus signature file where it belongs in the assets folder I created the final build for my phone. When I had connected my phone to the computer and was about to install the project to my phone I ran the Install_SamsungGearVR_Development-armv7-es2.bat file and this is what happened:

“Check that the device has an SD card.” Is the SD card necessary to have in the device? As far as I know Samsung Galaxy S6 doesn’t have an SD card slot: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00038750/846889744/. There seems to be one convenient way to get an SD card for S6: https://www./watch?v=_ftRlC-FijY but I have to know is it necessary. Or is the problem something else? It says that the APK file is invalid. I had to change “SamsungGearVR-armv7-es2.apk” into a zip file in order to check whether or not the Oculus signature file was found there as was explained in the tutorial. I thought it might help to change the file extension back to apk but it didn’t help. Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks!

The S6 does not have expandable memory, so you’re correct on that note. This message typically means you need to clean out your phone. If you’ve deployed to your phone a lot, it can eat up the space.

When you open your phones folder on your computer, do you see a lot of UE4 project folders? For example: Computer\SAMSUNG-SM-G935A\Phone\obb

Once you look within the obb, you may see a lot of files for games that you deleted a while back. Go ahead and purge those files too.

Let me know what happens once you’ve done that, thanks! :slight_smile:

I looked into the folder and all the files that I found there are from games that I haven’t deleted from my phone and there’s only a few of those files. I think the problem is something else and I think I know what it is, it’s because this computer doesn’t have Tegra Android Development Pack installed in it! (It’s my friend’s computer) That’s what came to my mind when I read this line “C:\Users\ \Documents>C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\adb.exe install SamsungGearVR-armv7-es2.apk Invalid APK file: SamsungGearVR-armv7-es2.apk”.

Well, I tried to install it but here we go again, :smiley: another error:

Is this error familiar and am I correct in assuming that installing the Tegra Android Development Pack might be the solution?

I have not seen that specific error previously however, I do have documentation I can provide you. Please look through the [Android SDK information][1] to ensure you’ve set this up correctly.

Once it’s set up correctly, please let me know whether or not the error disappears.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Android/GettingStarted/1/index.html

No problem, I did it and it finally works! I finally got inside my game! And yes, the problem was of course the missing Tegra Android Development Pack that wasn’t installed in the computer!

I found a simple solution from another forum where someone had the same trouble installing that “Nsight Tegra, Visual Studio Edition” component. Someone said there that it might not be necessary to install that component depending on what kind of project you’re working on. So I decided to try and I simply left it out in the component manager and installed everything else in the Development Pack successfully! After that I ran the “Install_SamsungGearVR_Development-armv7-es2.bat” file again and surprise! There were no errors whatsoever! The installation was quick and the app was finally there in my phone! And it works perfectly in Gear VR!

Thanks again for all the help! It took some time to get it working but fortunately it does now! I guess I had a little bit too many things to focus on at the same time. I could still try to continue trying to build the source version of Unreal Engine for my own Mac but I think I’ll leave that project because I’m getting a Windows soon and then I can use the source version that I already built!

Yay! That is wonderful. Please let us know if you run into any other roadblocks along the way!