Automatic LOD generation for Skeletal meshes?

Is there a way to automatically generate LODs for Skeletal meshes as well as for Static meshes?

Hello ,

I found documentation that I believe could be helpful for this. You can follow this link to the documentation on setting up Automatic LOD Generation here:

I hope this document is of help to you and if there is anything else that I can help you with please do not hesitate to ask.

All the Best,

Hey , thank you but this is not relevant to my question, because i have asked about skeletal meshes, and that documentation link covers static meshes instead. i have searched the documentation before, and didn’t find info on skeletal LODs

Hi ,

Unfortunately, the only way (currently) to auto generate LODs for Skeletal Meshes is to use Simplygon (Skeletal Mesh LODs in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation)

At this time we do not support Simplygon in engine. My apologies for any inconvenience, but at this time there are no other ways to auto generate LODs for Skeletal Meshes.

I hope this helps clarify any questions or concerns regarding this. If there is anything else that I can help you with please let me know.

All the Best,

Thank you for your answer :]

Hi andy. I have the same question. Staff person didnt read or understand, i think. Baffled by her reply re not supported, when it is.

As far as i can tell skeletal needs a very expensive plugin from ( now microsoft. 25k) , as of mid 2018 .

Hi again arty.

Looking into more detail, there seems to be a form of simplygon that can do mesh reduction to 0.2 on skeletal meshes/ have you seen this anywhere? Is it a legacy plugin from marketplace that cant be got anymore? people have been talking about a version for 4.19 that does skeletal meshes?!

that’s correct. this is the price when i have checked as well, they do not have an indie program.

you can as well use Simplygon though which has that functionality too, and they charge percentage of your sales income instead, which may or may not be more attractive to you, depending on your initial budget and sales plan.

idk dude i never used symplygon. seems like it can auto gen LODs for skeletal meshes though. idk how good is that actually. you probably can create a blank project and use it there, it wont charge you any fees for such a test.

btw pls dont create new answers each time. you can just comment instead…

yep, 4.22 a true bless

thanks for sharing.