automated_turret_device SetTeam() function not functioning

Please select what you are reporting on:

Creative

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Devices

Summary

It appears that changing the team of an automated turret device during gameplay does not impact its behavior. What I hoped to achieve was a player could press a button to enable a turret and (at the same time) have the turret target the opposing team. I have tried this via direct event binding in UEFN and via Verse. In both cases, despite the turret being configured to target “hostile” agents only, the turret targeted the instigating agent.

Steps to Reproduce

Scenario 1 (Direct Event Binding):
Precondition: Island created and configured for two teams.

1. Add an automated turret device to the island. Configure the turret for
  • Possible Targets: Hostile Only
  • Starting Team Type: Team Wildlife & Creatures
  • Can Target Players: True
  • Start Enabled: False
  1. Add a button device to the island.
  2. In the turret’s details, configure the “Enable” function to listen for the “On Interact” function of the button.
  3. In the turret’s details, configure the “Set Team” function to listen for the “On Interact” function of the button.
  4. Play Test the island.
  5. Press the button.
    Expected Response: Turret activates and does not target the instigating player.
    Actual Response: Turret targets the instigating player.

Scenario 2 (Verse):
Precondition: Island created and configured for two teams.

1. Use the same island as before, but remove the “Set Team” event binding.
  2. Create a verse creative device that subscribes to the button’s InteractedWithEvent and responds by passing the instigating agent to the turret’s SetTeam function. (We will continue to use direct event binding for enabling the turret.)
  3. Play Test the island.
  4. Press the button.
    Expected Response: Turret activates and does not target the instigating player.
    Actual Response: Turret targets the instigating player.

Scenario 3 (Sanity Check):

1. Same island as before, but configure the turret’s initial team index to ‘1’.
  2. Disable the verse device. Note we are no longer trying to set the turret’s team during gameplay.
  3. Play test the island and press the button.
    Response: Instigating player is not targeted (assuming they are on team 1).

Expected Result

The automated turret should not consider the instigating agent as “hostile” when using the set team function.

Observed Result

The instigating agent is targeted even after attempting to set the turret’s team to the agent’s during gameplay.

Platform(s)

PC, PS5

Island Code

3859-6699-9066

Additional Notes

Island Code is just for reference. I have disabled all buttons in the interim because I don’t want to frustrate players attempting to use the turrets.

Yep, this is an issue that I have recently came across as well. Please let me know once it is fixed!