Are you looking for a loading system without Level Streaming? If yes, then you already found GOLD
Normally, you have to use Level Streaming for loading screens due to User Widget is destroyed at level transition, and level loading runs on the main thread, it blocks any other game activities until it’s completed. You will need to manually control which object is loaded/unloaded. You can’t use different Game Mode, Player Controller for each level, and sometimes there’s still occasional freezing.
That said, you may need to change your game logic to fit with Level Streaming mechanic and it requires a lot of works to achieve a simple thing: Add a Loading Screen. To create a custom loading screen without Level Streaming, you have to do it in Unreal C++. However, this is a hard task for artists and designers, even for developers who are not familiar with the Slate framework and engine module code. Async Loading Screen plug-in comes to a savior.
Async Loading Screen allows you to easily configure a Loading Screen System in the project settings, and automatically add a Loading Screen whenever you open a new level. Async Loading Screen also comes with pre-design UI layouts and default icons that make it easy to custom your loading screen in a few minutes (less than 5 minutes I swear).
How it works
Async Loading Screen uses MoviePlayer to play a movie at level transition, on a different thread than game thread. MoviePlayer is not only playing movie files but also can display a Slate widget on top of the movie. We use this widget for the loading screen.
MoviePlayer is registered to PreLoadMap and PostLoadMapWithWorld delegates so it will be called and shut down automatically by the engine whenever you open a new level.
- Easy to set up, easy to use
- Customizable premake responsive layouts.
- Customizable loading icons.
- Supported animating images sequence.
- Supported on all major platforms.
- Easily play movies, audio files.
- No need for coding.
- No temporary maps, no level streaming.
- Automatically handles all level transitions.
- Integrates seamlessly with an existing project.
- Free and Open Source (Hell Yeah!)
Version 1.2 (11/01/2021):
- Added new blueprint library function Stop Loading Screen. To use this function, you must enable the Allow Engine Tick option. Call this function in BeginPlay event to stop the Loading Screen (works with Delay node):
- Added Show Loading Complete Text option and Loading Complete Text Settings section, which show a text when level loading is complete. Note that you need to set Wait For Manual Stop = true, and Minimum Loading Screen Display Time = -1, this also allows players press any key to stop the Loading Screen by themself.
Show Loading Complete Text Settings:
Version 1.1 (14/09/2020):**
- Added Shuffle option in the movie setting.
- Implemented set specific background/tip/movie for each level.
- Added SetDisplayBackgroundManually, SetDisplayTipTextManually, SetDisplayMovieManually options.
- Changed TipWidgetVerticalPadding to BorderVerticalOffset in Center Layout settings.
- Changed WidgetHorizontalPadding to BorderHorizontalOffset in Sidebar Layout settings.
- Add Async Loading Screen Function Library with 3 Blueprint functions:
Async Loading Screen Settings:
Async Loading Screen has four main components: Background, Loading Widget, Tip Widget, and Layout.
- The background is a static image, you can add many images as you want, it will be displayed randomly. Leave it empty if you just want to show a movie instead of a static image.
- The Tip Widget is just some useful texts that will be shown randomly for players to have something to look at while waiting for a new level loaded.
- Loading Widget is the most important component of the plug-in, Loading Widget lets players know that the game is still running and not freezing. Loading Widget has two parts: Loading Icon and Loading Text. The Loading Text is just a text shown beside the Loading Icon, we mostly care about the Loading Icon. Async Loading Screen supports 3 types of Loading Icon: Throbber, Circular Throbber, and Image Sequence.
Throbber loading icon examples:
Circular Throbber loading icon examples:
Image Sequence loading icon examples:
This is the way Async Loading Screen widgets are arranged on the screen. In version 1.0 Async Loading Screen supports 5 different Layouts: Classic, Center, Letterbox, Sidebar, and Dual Sidebar.
Note: Background images are not included in the plugin
Classic layout example:
Center layout example:
Letterbox layout example:
Sidebar layout example:
Dual Sidebar layout example:
Visit Tutorialsection on Github to learn how to use Async Loading Screen.
If you’re using Async Loading Screen plugin in your game and would like to showcase here, shoot me an email to [EMAIL=“firstname.lastname@example.org”]email@example.com about your game’s info, including screenshots(gif/png/jpeg/video) of your in-game loading screen.
Document and Tutorial: https://github.com/truong-bui/AsyncLoadingScreen
Donate: Async Loading Screen plugin is free and opensource so if the plugin is useful for you or your team, you can buy me a coffee to support this project.