Astoroids

Out of interest, this wasn’t inspired by a certain episode of Morgan Freeman’s through-the-wormhole was it? When they were discussing having more than 3 dimensions and a woman was talking about moving accross the surface of a bagel?

That probably sound utterly insane if I’m wrong…

Well I haven’t seen that episode but it is based on the same concept, I saw that in a Horizon episode talking about the shape of our universe, you can see the asteroids universe here http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18wu9y_horizon-2009-alan-and-marcus-go-forth-and-multiply-pdtv-remax_lifestyle
at minute 52, is a great show.

Man, it’s great that you cached that

Cheers!!

Looking very cool! It seems like the torus wireframe fades out a little bit abruptly.

One thing that might be neat to try is to have your own bullets (or maybe only missiles or something) travel far enough to wrap around the narrow axis and become hazards. I did this in a jam game set on a snake shaped torus, and after you have enough powerups to be firing quickly, your own bullets can be as dangerous as the enemies :smiley:

(such bad art, so placeholder sounds, much game jam rush)

Cheers,
Noland

I dig it. A lot. Good job!

thank you, I’m working on the pickups at the moment. will post an update soon

Astoroids wip 03

This week I made a video explaining and showing what I have done in the game

mainly, is GUI back end for the asteroids, I also did a few pickups for the game, some are already there some would be spawn by other parts of the game not done yet.

I also finally made the final logo for the game, I love it, see it below including some screenshots

Again thanks for all the nice comments and support.

I’m also putting all this in my blog if you guys want to check it our there
http://varomix.net/mixblog/2014/04/astoroids-development-blog-wip03/

Great video :slight_smile: Looking forward to more progress.

Hey guys
Another week another update
This week, the new GUI

please enjoy

Looking great sir! keep the updates coming. =)

Looking cool man, nice HUD!

Awesome, and I love the vlog!

I like this it looks very attractive. And catchy. I love the 8 bit tones.

Alright so we reached Update 5

In this update:
Will talk about how to make a living while developing your game
what can you do while in development to start making money right away.
Why I did little development this week and why that is a good thing.
A new artist joins the project.
The Main Menu design

Enjoy!

Also, I would like to thank Epic Games for the amazing stuff they send me.
Thanks Ray Davis and Rex Stover.

This looks like a project that’s going to happen!Well done and good luck with this :slight_smile:

Hey varomix -

Looks great! Keep up the work I can’t wait to play it.

Wow update 6 already, what a great time I have had doing this
hope you guys are finding this videos informative and useful or at least some how entertaining.

In this update:

• The new and amazing main menu of the game is done
    still needs to be populated but all the functionality is in place- New overlay when receiving damage
  • The start of the pause menu is in place

enjoy!!

the game is looking great so far!!! I see a lot of potential on it

a feedback if you don’t mind: what about enemy ships with patterns on their movement moving around the torus or even asteroids that follow a pattern, just to make the player move more, right now the player can stay in the same place with no problems, another thing that I really would like (more than the pattern thing) is to see the ship being able to move sideways just so the player have more freedom of movements and the game can become more fast paced at times.

by the way the screen going red when you get hit I really thought was a video problem.

anyway its just a feedback I’m not sure with what you wanna achieve so don’t take it too serious.(besides sounds like a lot of more work…)

but sir its looking really cool!! waiting to help you greenlit the game :slight_smile:

First, thanks a lot for the feedback, this is why I’m sharing this with all of you, so thank you very much.

hehe actually enemies ships are on my plans for sure, that’s why I haven’t added the health pickups cause they will come from the enemy ships :slight_smile:
there’s a lot of asteroids at the moment just for testing, but you’ll have to move around to hunt then down, the ship will not move sideways i have in my notes to make it dodge sideways, but it would be like a fast one shot movement and it will use boost power so you don’t abuse it.

The screen going red is actually supposed to look like a video glitch, from the perspective of the pilot, I actually have an amazing shader that I would use for that to make it look way better.

Again thanks for the feedback and the nice words about the game.

Cheers!!

Awesome work! Thanks for providing everyone with updates as it is great to see work in progress and updates.

Heh, I’m actually wearing the same shirt like you do in the video today :slight_smile:

Thanks Daniel, I’m really enjoying the process

cheers!!