Ask Unreal Anything: Rendering | June 15, 2022 at 1PM EDT

I’m very interested to know about the future of the Water plugin. I recall plans to make use of real ocean/wave data in the wave model, but have not seen anything relating to that in recent versions. The default water also tends to lean more on the side of stylized than realistic (which makes sense given it’s origin in Fortnite), but are there any plans to improve the ‘out of the box’ realism of the water plugin?

Finally, perhaps not rendering specifically, but by association - I recall a wind node in the material editor popping up a few years ago, which suggested perhaps we’ll see some more complex foliage wind in the future. Is there anything you can share on this?

Many thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. UE5 is life changing, you should all be proud :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We are actively trying to improve this. Please check this reply for more information: Ask Unreal Anything: Rendering | June 15, 2022 at 1PM EDT - #101 by KTerelst

1 Like

Will Unreal Engine support Apple Silicon (natively) and Metal 3? If yes, when can we expect it?

Are you going to continue to support Mac development?

2 Likes

Can we touch on any of these topics please?

2 Likes

Thank you for the news. It’s great that this is going to be improved now that D3D12 is the default RHI in the engine.

2 Likes

The ability to control visibility of an object between primary and other secondary views is limited. I’m not sure I follow on why that is essential to scale. The few places this exists are, scene capture actors can control hidden or showonly lists of objects for their view, there are some controls for visibility to an owners camera for use in first person weapons and third person bodies that should only show up in cameras from those perspectives, and lastly closer to what you are asking there is the ability to flag something as only drawing in shadows, ie casts shadows but not otherwise visible. That combined with disabled shadow casting gives you the ability to have mutually exclusive objects between primary and shadow drawing.

I think there are some visibility flags for reflection captures as well but AFAIK nothing for Lumen indirect. It actually is problematic to do something like that because of our use of screen space traces. Any difference between primary and secondary causes conflicts in what screen space rays pick up so exposing such a thing is dangerous and problematic.

As far as I can tell that function gives the result of a single light, and runs multiple times for each light to generate an output. I want to know where the outputs of that function are ultimately added together.

Is there a possibility in the future for low powered devices have at least some limited Nanite support, such as mobile devices?

1 Like

Active work is done to reduce the RenderThread overhead by offloading more things to worker threads. This will improve RDG build & execution times. We are also working on allowing creation of resources on any thread instead of just the rendering thread but it’s quite a bit of work to get all of that done. This will open up some options to offload and improve render thread performance.

2 Likes

That’s all we have time for today—thanks to everyone for joining us today! We want to offer a big round of applause :clap: to Brian, Seb, and Daniel for jumping in—with surprise guests Kenzo and Chris!

See you at the next one. Happy developing!

9 Likes