Ask Epic Anything: Programming & Scripting | May 24th, 2023 at 12:30PM EST

Would it be possible to add OnGameStart event to Verse?

Similar to how for example timer_device can be triggered on game start by setting the flag in the editor (see image).

Same could be achieved in the Verse code but there is no such callback existing currently.

1 Like

Are the plans to make a reference style viewer in UEFN to see a visual of all the direct bindings? If not, can there be?

2 Likes

Will we get more verse plugins/extensions in the near future?

*like AI generated code completion
*codes that shows us where the error is in the code

etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the amazing Creator 2.0 ecosystem and your support!
I would like to make an object follow a spline-path. Is there something like getLocationAtDistanceAlongSpline and getRotationAtDistanceAlongSpline from UE5 Blueprints?

2 Likes

Can’t edit, so I have a few more questions:

1. What’s the deal with prop rotation being glitchy?
  2. Are you planning on having UE and UEFN kinda converge, as in a UEFN project could be published as a standalone project?

Is there a way to apply physics to objects/props? UEFN seems to ignore when i tick the box “apply gravity” and “physicsActor” in Collision preset, but maybe there is a way via VERSE?

1 Like

Are there plans for an interface for a computer controlled player, similar to the bots in BR, so that it would be possible to write an AI program in Verse to control that player?

Hi. I have questions about module.

1. How does the compiler reference and import modules from outside the project, such as “/Verse.org/Random”?

2. Currently, the way the Using clause is written differs between modules outside the project and modules inside the project. Why is this?

3. Will users be able to publish independent modules(such as a “/Verse.org/Random”) in the future?

3 Likes

Is there a way to use the race checkpoint to easily move the player with the same type of vehicle to the checkpoint when the player and the vehicle fall into the water and the vehicle is destroyed in a racing game?”

Why are basic particle level pieces missing in UEFN?
Example: I want to create a collider with a mesh and material attached, then listen for the events on that collider and modify the material parameters of the mesh’s material.

There is currently no way to do this, (sorta - I CAN add a single device manipulator to a scene on top of a color switching tile, which works for 1 tile in a map) because all the pieces I want are locked into devices, and the most basic part I can use - a creative_prop - doesn’t come with access to any events for listening. Even that requires that I attach a prop manipulator to it. It seems so fundamental it must be intentional.

It seems like UEFN was limited so that everything code-related could be locked into devices. Is there a plan to expand on this?

4 Likes

Hello there!

My one and only question Great Scott will we see a Back To the Future Colab?

See you in 1985!

1 Like

Somehow creators have managed to make custom Field of Views that don’t jitter and work just like you’d need them to, I’m wondering if it’s possible to get any advice or guidance on how this might’ve been accomplished? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. When can we expect access to skeletal mesh animations from verse?

2. Are there plans to raise the current Verse 30FPS ceiling?

3. Will we ever be able to use local transforms on attached / children objects?

4. Will we ever be able to use collision events between custom props?

5. Do you have plans and a timeline for AI navigation?

4 Likes

Currently there is no persistence between rounds. When will persistence be added to verse so that we can easily control how each round is handled?

Hello!

I’m curious to know what the plans are for AI in UEFN will be. Will we be able to customize AIs with new abilities or have functions and events they can use to communicate with other devices? Also, is there a planned fix for the AI path patrol device not being accessible in UEFN projects?

How will Epic handle the use of its intellectual property being used in AI generation for UEFN and other content?

Given creators can use Fortnite’s chapter 1 map assets in their experiences, if AI software were used to replicate it such that it was mostly unrecognizable, would creators be able to monetize it?

Does Epic care how “hands on” the AI software is in the generation? Would a blanket prompt to “create me a new one” be treated different from using a single aspect like a biome map recreated by AI and tweaked by hand?

Are creators free to distribute AI instruction data trained on Epic’s property?

Are we going to see in the future software plugins like Maya LiveLink, Houdini engine, Houdini Niagara, And substance painter/designer for UEFN.

1 Like

I’ve heard there are plans to improve Verse VS Code plugin but what about releasing source on GitHub to let community help? Broken suggestions/intellisense is a big time waster currently.

1 Like

Here is a story of the first programming language that I created.

When I first started university I was taking Cognitive Science - a mix of Computer Science, Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics - specializing in AI. In one of my courses we were assigned an end of term project of making a programming language. Given all that needed to be done I didn’t know how I could get it completed in time. And then a solution hit me - I would go without sleep for two weeks.

So I put in as much time as I could in the university computer lab. This was in the mid-90s so it was on Unix mainframes. I worked and worked.

As the days went on, my long term memory started to go.

I would be confused and be wondering where I was and what I was doing - and then I would see some compilation errors on the screen.

Huh, I must be programming - and then I would try to fix the errors.

Compile…

Where am I and what am I doing?

Errors on the screen.

Huh, I must be programming - and then I would try to fix the errors.

Compile…

Repeat.

People came up to me and said - Conan! You should go to sleep. Apparently I would say gibberish like: As soon as the alligators get out of the elevator…

I slept for about an hour in the middle of each of the two weeks - so two hours over two weeks. I had interesting discussions with my Biopsychology professor about lack of sleep.

Finally I was done. I handed in my programming language assignment. I crawled into bed. It was Thursday.

I woke up. I was late for class!

I sprinted to the auditorium that had my Psychology class. It held about 300 students. I was the only one there…

I was a bit confused and then went to the hallway, asked some questions and discovered that it wasn’t Friday - it was Monday. I had slept for about three and a half days straight.

Friends said that they had been pounding on my dorm room door wondering if I was there.

Eventually I contacted the professor who assigned me project of creating a programming language and asked how I did.

Are you kidding? You were the only one who actually did the assignment. You got an A+. The assignment was poorly worded - it was only supposed to be a small part of a language - not the whole thing. Everyone else either just did pieces of a language or gave up. I’m telling all your other Computer Science professors to give you As.

I didn’t know it but this would be the first in a long line of languages that I created.

I doubt the language was that awesome - but it worked!

Not sure if there is a lesson to be learned here other than willpower can get you far.

Verse had a larger team and much more sleep - though still with the occasional sleepless night.

7 Likes

Never stop coding. Like great art - programming is never complete - it is abandoned.

I see being a software engineer as being a professional problem solver. So practicing your reasoning skills and team communication is critical.

Getting your foot in the door can be the hardest part. Schooling is the most common start, though self-taught can be readily accepted. Showing examples of your work can go a long way. It depends on the type of programming industry - though you probably mean game development? UEFN is new though it might be ideal at getting interesting examples out for people to see on all sorts of platforms.

4 Likes