Ask Epic Anything: Programming & Scripting | May 24th, 2023 at 12:30PM EST

This AMA is all about Programming and Scripting in UEFN!

Submit your questions directly to expert members on our team – ask about feature insights, overarching development guidance, career advice, industry questions, and of course, what you’re wondering specifically about our guests!

Make sure to check out the awesome backgrounds and expertise of our special Epic developer guests featured below. :point_down:

Do you have a question for us? Ask away by replying to this post!

The team will join us on 2023-05-24T09:30:00Z to answer questions. See you there!

MEET THE TEAM

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 10.42.33 AM

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 10.49.09 AM

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 10.50.13 AM

Rodney Houle Senior Technical Designer. I have 23 years of game design experience, with six of those being a technical designer focused on game scripting and programming. I shipped my first game using Unreal Engine in 2008 and have been using it ever since. When I’m not in front of a screen, I’m enjoying the beautiful outdoors of central Oregon golfing, hiking, backpacking, stand up paddle boarding, and skiing.

Conan Reis Principal Engineer / Mad Computer Scientist with 30 years in all areas of AAA game development. CEO/founder of Agog Labs, where I created SkookumScript which was acquired by Epic Games in 2018. Since then I’ve worked on Verse (the programming language of UEFN) - and created and designed much of its control flow especially its concurrency model - sync, race, rush, branch, spawn, etc.

Ray Benefield Creative Tools Designer. I have experience as a Software Engineer and a UGC Creator. I was recruited by Epic directly from the Fortnite Creative community as I’ve been working in the tool since day 1. I specialize in game design and game logic. I stubbornly lean towards breaking the mold in terms of ideas and innovation. When I’m not working, I’m probably still working on some side project.

AMA GUIDELINES:

• Ask one question at a time by replying to this topic, using the Reply button at the bottom. Please read through the questions to see if your question has already been asked, before posting your own.
  • Please give others a chance to ask questions too.
  • Please do not reply to anyone else’s post—the purpose of replies in this topic is to receive answers from our guests. If you’d like to discuss a related topic in more detail, create a new topic.
  • Keep in mind, this is not a support session. Questions that are specific to your islands, account, or troubleshooting will be removed.
  • And don’t forget to have fun!

Posts not following these guidelines may be removed by moderators to keep the AMA flowing smoothly. Thank you!

Update (5/25/2023): Have feedback on this event? Share it here!

20 Likes

Are there any videos/tutorials you recommend for learning Verse?

6 Likes

Awesome!

My Questions

1. Would you like to see Verse morph into, or provide an option to use it as, a visual scripting system? (i.e - like that of UE blueprints)

2. How does Verse compare to that of Python?

3. Do you see Verse replacing C++ in the future?

4. How does one start a career in programming?

5. Do you prefer coding to Level Design/Game Design? And between the two, which one do you feel is the most challenging?

6. This question is for Conan Reis. Can you share one of your mad scientist stories? Would be cool to hear!

7. This question is for Rodney Houle. What is it like being a Senior Technical Designer?

8. This question is for Ray Benefield. What kind of challenges do you face as a Creative Tools Designer? And how do you overcome those challenges? Lastly if you could give any advice to creators who are looking to jump into game development as a career, what would your advice be?

Lastly, I really appreciate you taking the time to review my questions and I am looking forward to the event!

9 Likes

Idk if my question is relevant here but, will we have a roadmap or anything to track what is actually being done by the team ?

I’d love to have that in order to anticipate my developments, because I sometimes write workarounds that I could do without… (also it could prevent us from posting bugs that are already being worked on)

15 Likes

For creating a hub island and some other islands linked to it. What is the best solution for avoiding have to change it latter.

Better to use separated projects or can i create many levels inside the same project and build the islands from this same project just using different levels ?

Using the same project its easier to share assets, but i have this 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to have 2 different public islands for 2 different levels using the same project?

2. The memory available for island is related to memory used for project (with all levels inside) or there is an individual quota for each level ?

Is there a way for only the current checkpoint to be visible in a race setting?
Currently, on the first lap, all checkpoints are visible to players, and changing any visibility config on the checkpoint device will make it stop working.

4 Likes

What are the biggest architectural challenges behind implementing new features in Verse/Fortnite?

Do you see the API moving away from this device centric architecture into one maybe more like Unreal where we can control the game directly in Verse code?

4 Likes

For someone like me who has zero knowledge in coding, what would be a good way to learn Verse as a first programming language?

6 Likes

My question for Epic is: What made you choose to create Verse instead of choosing to use a programming language like Lua or JavaScript or C++ like UE5 uses?

3 Likes

Are there any plans for allowing UEFN users to create their own character pawns to be used by players instead of using the Fortnite ones?

4 Likes
  1. Are there any plans to directly inject code while a specific sequencer is running (so we can make tags within the sequence that Verse subscribes), or raycasting as an input so we can do logic such as track if the player is outside?

2. Lastly, are there any plans for the ability to mesh swap through verse? Essentially the ability to have verse control material collection parameters, or swapping textures/meshes.

8 Likes

How many developers are working on UEFN post-release, for example on patch 24.40?

Is there larger patch being worked on in the background or is this the pace at which things will get improved/fixed (like in 24.30 and 24.40)?

4 Likes
  1. What advice would you give to a CS college student who’s interested in pursuing computer graphics research on where and how to get involved in the industry?
  2. Follow-up question: Is a PhD required?
  3. How do I make my programming projects stand out to recruiters?
1 Like

How can I make players move back when they are shot by other players without decreasing health points?

Are there any plans to extend Verse functionality across many other Unreal Engine features, such as Niagra Components and Level Sequences? Specific examples would be running functions in Verse code through Level Sequences Events, or activating/editing Niagra component values.

5 Likes

This is so cool! Firstly, thank you guys for dedicating time to this AMA.

If you had to give an estimate, on a scale of 1-10, how “complete” do you think Verse is as of this point in time. Specifically, should we expect new methods/classes/functionality or even modules to be added (Looking at you UnrealEngine.com/Temporary :laughing:), or should we expect mostly small bug fixes/changes, and at what pace? Any hints as to what we can expect by the end of 2023?

Again, thank you guys for your time! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What features are missing in Verse that bother you the most? Those things that you really wanted to get done for this first cut but weren’t able to.

6 Likes

My Questions:

1- Will be able to debug in VS code? is there an estimated time on when ?
2- Will be able to launch several clients to be able to test multiplayer features ?
3- Why not provide in the API at least getters for any property of an object in UEFN ?
4- Is there a performance difference using verse vs direct event in the UEFN editor vs Creative 2.0 edit mode ?

11 Likes

yeah i got one,

i get it was a bug and allowed the ability to use many more restricted actors
But why remove the one that allows you to model swap the vehicles even though you essentially had something on the roadmap already completed? (credit to mobile scrap on youtube for the image, i never got to use the ““bad”” actors
)