Ark: Survival Evolved: Low fps becaue of UE4 or due to no optimizations?

You say that Epics move of going free is not aimed at ‘blender-youtube’ kids…
All they do is fishing for that audience. Anyone who has halfway learned how to optimize a game is at least out of school and could afford the tiny $20 they were asking for. And if you think of indie or bigger, then they could even afford more.
UE4 will attract so many ‘Blender-Youtube Kids’ that Epic will drown in their sheer masses. The answer hub already is. They all will want to create their open world dynamic lighting game and they all will hit the fps wall. And then, all that’s left in a few years will be ‘remember UE4? it could not run any game properly that people made! Well, who cares…’.

That may be true (and a totally different topic), but your way of measurig the level of multitreading is still wrong.

Lol… I’ll have to agree with a lot of ‘Blender-YouTube-Kids’ trying to use UE4, but when it really comes down to it, any kid like that probably doesn’t have the knowledge or confidence in publishing a game, which seems to be why UE4 has so many users, but so little known games. I also agree that the answer hub is drowning. I think that Epic Games should take steps to “un-spam” the forums & answer hub. All answers should need to be written with decent grammar, and at least be understandable.

Well there’s a lot of reasons there isn’t a huge flood of games. Most indie and games in development aren’t going to immediately switch engines, it’s a waste of resources. A lot of people still prefer prototyping in Unity and Unity got some decent graphics features with it’s latest update, so it’s not too tempting to switch unless there’s features UE4 has and Unity doesn’t. UE4 is a more artist friendly engine, so you’ll probably just see more pretty art pieces than actual games. Epic did add a lot of mods to the forum, it’d be nice if they added them to answer hub.

Seems like the OPs question totally derailed. :rolleyes:
To the OP. I have not gotten ARK, but have read the comments section on Steam. Basically the game is State of the Art and it’s going to be a while before peoples systems can handle it. Sure they have a lifetime of optimization to do, it’s ongoing and something that is never ending. It’s also an Early Access title. As far as i know it’s one of the first games to take FULL advantage liberally of all UE4 has to offer on a large scale. You are just going to have to grin and bare it for awhile.

What is a blender-youtube kid? I imagine the ‘youtube’ part is a reference to people so young that they grew up with youtube instead of regular TV? But how does Blender fit in there? I am curious :slight_smile:

My understanding is, Blender is free, and therefor not as good as its paid competition, is what I suspect is the meaning behind that, much like UE4 is apparently not good because its free. Of course none of that is true.

I thought the term was to mock people that download UE4, GIMP, and Blender and decide to become a game dev, post on forums trying to get help making an MMO, and learn everything from youtube video tutorials. It’s not criticizing free software, it’s criticizing people that use free software and don’t know what they are doing.

Probably more correct actually, I was thinking along those terms after posting.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

Although in that case I don’t really like the term since it creates some bad associations. Well, it is probably chosen that way on purpose…

Sorry if the term came across the wrong way. It refers to younger audience that do not have access to licensed 3D software and who typically retreat to watching youtube videos/tutorials if they are stuck in a software. I would not know an age range to put on it, maybe high school-ish, therefore the term blender-youtube-kids. It is not ill meant. We all sat down in front of our Amigas or first Pentiums and started coding our first hello worlds back in the days.

Guess i’ll just develop for the future

New features > still unfinished optimization.

Ark will likely be struggling just to hit 60 fps on the highest gpu’s we have right now, if it ever even does. Volta will save us, all in good time

Size of your picture is for the future too ಠ_ಠ

As a mod maybe you can get someone from Epic to respond to us and clarify some things in this thread? Possibly an Ark dev too? Instead of commenting on picture size? Or do you not have that kind of power

I think in 2018-2019 will be UE4 no UE5.

The clarification was in the twitch stream when they had one of the devs of Ark on. He said, they focused on getting a product out that people could play, that there had been no optimizations done at the time, but their focus is optimization before the actual release, early next year (as it is an early access game). I dont think any more clarification is needed at this time.

Frankly if you’re doing something sensible and you know how to use the tools at your disposal [properly] - the engine is practically perfect. That is, as perfect as it can get with hundreds of people contributing code to it’s enormous code-base, over a period of 15+ years. Since the Engine is so easily upgradeable, we probably won’t see an Unreal Engine 5 for a very very long time. UE4 is going to have a very long lifespan.

Multi-Threading isn’t necessarily always a good thing, and it won’t always help you either. Probably one of the biggest issues of Multi-Threading is that you are always going to be capped by the slowest task. If you don’t do it 100% right, you’ll have times where cores are quite literally doing nothing while they wait for another one to catch up. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that’s going to cost you more performance than it’ll give you. A lot of stuff isn’t thread-safe either. It would be bloody hard to build navmesh on one core while the other is trying to process AI for example.

In future years, I almost garauntee you that we’ll see more parallel programming moved onto the GPU instead. Some Frustrum culling is now done on the GPU in Unreal like the new Distance-Field stuff, and compute shaders have been around for a while now too.

People like to talk about Multi-Threading without really having the foggiest idea what they’re talking about. Try building something complex and Multi-Threaded of your own. Compare performance before and after. I bet you’ll **** it up.

With 30+ games going to E3 built on Unreal Engine this year alone, and plenty more being made that are both open and small-world, I think the Engine has you beat to be honest.

ARK has sold incredibly well, so it’s easy to hate them for something. Id never heard of their studio before, and now they’re making multi-million dollar profits. They’re clearly doing something right.

Would be nice to hear what types of optimizations in particular are needed. If you are fine with just “we gotta optimize more” and thats enough clarification for you then you must not be into learning?

They have a team of 40 people and the environment work isnt even that great, I can make their world myself and Im only 1 artist. And I would be sure to optimize my assets with proper lod’s before even accepting money, Lately I’m a world machine / foliage mastermind. Unless there is some really crazy programming going on that is causing the fps drops, or just no proper frustrum occlusion culling / their g.i. implementation? I mean for a few man team its understandable, but 40 people?

Its going to be interesting to see them hit 60 fps even on high end gpu’s, after all they are planning to go on console right? The lighting and materials and everything I think is just too intense for our current gpu’s to have the look and next gen feel for the game that this trying to be. 7km isnt even that big either. I’m just hoping that it is an optimization problem and nothing more, for the sake of my own project, because slowly I’m getting to what Ark has going on, but to see it all perform so bad in a multiplayer environment is concerning. Time will tell… I will keep faith and progress anyways since no other engine is even available to us as good as UE4 (No out of the box networking for Unity!)