Are you unable to package Windows projects in UE5? Fear not, I have a solution for you!

So when I first installed UE5 and tried to package a Windows project I was greeted with this message. If I disregarded it and clicked continue, my project would “package” instantly. Except… it didn’t. It just left me with an empty packaged game folder.

Luckily I have found a solution! So, if you’ve experienced the same or a similar issue, here’s what you need to do:

Step 1

Copy the “hostfxr.dll” file in

“C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\DotNet\Windows\host\fxr\3.1.9”

to

“C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\AutomationTool”

(important to COPY, not MOVE!)

Step 2

Install the .NET Core 3.1 Runtime (https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/d30352fe-d4f3-4203-91b9-01a3b66a802e/bb416e6573fa278fec92113abefc58b3/windowsdesktop-runtime-3.1.15-win-x64.exe)

Step 3

DONE! When you try to package your Windows project in UE5 now, the editor will still throw up that previous message and warn you in general that you do not have the proper SDK installed. Just ignore the message. This is most likely a bug. Your game will still package without any issues if you click “Continue” when the message pops up!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is currently unknown whether you will need to “recopy” the “hostfxr.dll” file every time a new update for UE5 is released (in early access at least). It is also interesting to note that UE4 Windows projects package just fine without having to install .NET Core (or anything really), so I don’t know whether this is intended behavior in UE5, a bug or if someone at Epic just screwed up and forgot to include or point the proper files in the UE5 installation process.

Not sure if I should report this as a bug or not…

If anyone has any smarter solutions that don’t require you to install anything (.NET Core etc.) please share it!

I hoped this helped somebody.

12 Likes

Was having same error and this process is allowing me to package now. Thanx!!!
It’s definitely a bug for sure.

1 Like

I forgot exactly where, but in the same popup window that you can package your game look for something that says something about fixing your SDK for windows. This got rid of the warning message for me. Just read all your options in the pop-up window you’ll know it when you see it. Hope this helps!

Hmm, that didn’t fix mine.
I’m still getting this after all the installation.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows): ERROR: Download support for building Win64 Game targets from the launcher.
PackagingResults: Error: Download support for building Win64 Game targets from the launcher.

And the log is like this:

Log.WriteLinePrivate: Note: Android toolchain NDK r21b recommended
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Windows 10 SDK root at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 (1)
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Windows 10 SDK root at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 (2)
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Windows 10 SDK version 10.0.17763.0 at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Universal CRT version 10.0.17763.0 at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Windows 10 SDK version 10.0.19041.0 at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Universal CRT version 10.0.19041.0 at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Win64 using Manual SDK 10.0.19041.0
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Command line: “C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.dll” Template210325RT Win64 Development “-Project=E:\Unreal Project\Hus24_UE5\Template210325RT.uproject” “E:\Unreal Project\Hus24_UE5\Template210325RT.uproject” -NoUBTMakefiles “-remoteini=E:\Unreal Project\Hus24_UE5” -skipdeploy “-Manifest=E:\Unreal Project\Hus24_UE5\Intermediate\Build\Manifest.xml” -NoHotReload “-log=C:\Users\dongl\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_5.0EA\UBT-Template210325RT-Win64-Development_2.txt”
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Win64 using Manual SDK 10.0.19041.0
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Skipping C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\UE5Rules.dll: File is installed
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Skipping C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\UE5ProgramRules.dll: File is installed
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Visual Studio installation: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community (Product=Microsoft.VisualStudio.Product.Community, Version=16.9.31112.23)
Log.WriteLinePrivate: Found Visual Studio toolchain: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29910 (Family=14.28.29910, FamilyRank=1, Version=14.28.29913, Is64Bit=True, Preview=False, Error=False)
Log.WriteLinePrivate: ERROR: Download support for building Win64 Game targets from the launcher.
Log.WriteLinePrivate: BuildException: Download support for building Win64 Game targets from the launcher.
Log.WriteLinePrivate: at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildTarget.Create(TargetDescriptor Descriptor, Boolean bSkipRulesCompile, Boolean bUsePrecompiled) in d:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Configuration\UEBuildTarget.cs:line 699
Log.WriteLinePrivate: at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.CreateMakefile(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, TargetDescriptor TargetDescriptor, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet) in d:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Modes\BuildMode.cs:line 684
Log.WriteLinePrivate: at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.Build(List`1 TargetDescriptors, BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet, BuildOptions Options, FileReference WriteOutdatedActionsFile, Boolean bSkipPreBuildTargets) in d:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Modes\BuildMode.cs:line 258
Log.WriteLinePrivate: at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.Execute(CommandLineArguments Arguments) in d:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Modes\BuildMode.cs:line 228
Log.WriteLinePrivate: at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(String[] ArgumentsArray) in d:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 565

1 Like

Did you find any solution??? I have the same problem

1 Like

Same problem on 2 of 10 projects as donglnapkrsskrss

packaged it, pixel streamed, worked fine. next time error appeared. and thats it…nothing

Hi, I got the same issue today. I did not find the AutomationTool folder in source but I installed .net core as you mentioned and once refreshed for changes in platforms tab UE 5 and it worked without any issues. So I think for the stable UE 5 there is no need to follow the first two steps.

If anyone did not find the folder like me try doing it like this.

I had the same issue too. I have tried all of the above and still nothing happened. I updated my graphics card drivers and restart the computer and fixed.

what if i dont have some of those folders

So interesting solution for me, I know it is most likely obvious to some, but just having VSC installed with the Unreal Engine install option allowed me to build without issues.

I tried all of these steps and UE5.3.2 was still throwing the error. Then I found this thread that suggested verifying the engine install from the launcher. It cleared my packaging issue: