Are we getting a female default character?

Fo some reason, I remember hearing that we would get an official Epic default female character, but I can’t find any details. Am I going mad, or has anyone else heard about it?

The default chacter is genderless and is just that, a default demo character not to be used for anything other than prototyping. It would be stupid for Epic to waste resources on political correctness.

Missing the children from that pack :frowning:

I think it’s pretty obvious that the default character is male, and so are the animations.

The mesh itself is not obviously male, but the stock animations are male. It could easily be given animations to provide a female walking gait, but is it really necessary for a placeholder asset to have a gender? I don’t see what there is to be gained.

I’d argue that it is obviously male, but that would just leave us going in circles. :slight_smile: I’ve already bought the male/female robo-protos, thanks Britain, and had colour-coded the default before that (yes, blue and pink :rolleyes:). I thought I had heard about one being introduced by Epic, which was why I asked. I probably confused it with Curtis Markham’s animset, which I’m looking forward to being released on the marketplace. Coming soon! :slight_smile:

Still, it’s a bit of a pity that we have to shell out for this, seeing as, y’know, half the world is female. (Obviously, I don’t begrudge Curtis charging for it, especially as it covers far more than a walk/run anim; I just wish Epic had provided some female anims as part of the engine).

Why is the gender of a placeholder so important? Are people so insecure as to require placeholders to conform to their tumblr pronouns now?

I don’t understand why you are being so antagonistic. (Stupid waste of resources! Political correctness! Insecure!) All I did was ask if Epic were going to release a female placeholder (because I thought I had heard they were. I was wrong). That’s it.

I’m sorry, but it’s so common to see SJW types ruin communities and games these days (Looking at you No.9) that most people, including myself have become very bitter when it comes to even the slightest hint of gender equality BS.

Besides, even if the question was to include a hat for the default character, it’d still be stupid to improve a placeholder that will only be used early in a project then thrown away.

I…think we had better end this conversation right there. There are so many things wrong with your post that it is clear that we do not have enough common ground to discuss it in this forum.

I know some women who move like this lol

Most people? source please.

My best bet is 9gag. :rolleyes:

btw, Female characters earn more in marketing aspect sometimes, so… it’s understandable.

Not sure there is any need.
The character pack, while not an official Epic one, has a decent male and female mesh in it.
There is also Makehuman which, with a little help from Blender, can produce a decent mesh pretty quickly, which can then setup to default animations in-engine.

The internet, many times.
One of my favourite, everyone getting behind Dr. Taylor after the SJW crowd got the knickers in a knot over his shirt being sexist.

A male or female prototype character representation, i doubt this will change the gameplay in your game.

No, but it is nice for use as a place holder when working on character customisation etc :slight_smile:

Honestly, first you should ask yourselves:

1. Is this really necessary?
  2. If so: Why is it?
  3. What will change because of a female mannequin?
  4. What is to be gained?

Honestly, I think this is the less useful topic in the history of ever: You already have free assets with female characters, you have pack (which uses the SAME animation pack for each character) use them for prototying if you want to. There’s no need for Epic to include one, animators aren’t cheap, modelers either, and this won’t be make a change in the engine quality.

Funny discussion :smiley:
I wonder what they used for prototyping at Eidos back in 96 when they worked on the first TombRaider :cool:
Its not that the thread opener asked for a dedicated breast-jiggle engine… :wink:

I think I’d like to jump in and express my opinion on a couple of these things.

I’m pretty sure the OP had nothing to do with political correctness.

for a lot of people (especially beginners or people that cant make the assets) its not just for prototyping and then being thrown away like you say, for example if someone just started modelling then using the skeleton and animations from the it could be the only way they would be able to make their game.

hmmm, I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with you, just to elaborate a bit more, on one hand no it’s not necessary but on the other hand was it necessary for epic to build in starter projects or create example projects/content or create tutorials or do the twitch streams?, the answer is no it wasn’t necessary for epic to do any of that stuff but by doing those things it helps people create games witch in turn helps epic.

@KVogler, +1 for the jiggle engine idea, it could be used for breast’s(both female and male;)) but also for things like cow udders or jelly monsters and loads of other stuff:)

anyway that’s just my opinion:D

People have already created jiggle breast and soft body simulation by using cloth and APEx inside the engine, just make a quick search on the forums.