Are sky reflections possible on the Quest?

Hello everyone,

I’ve been pulling my hair out for several weeks trying to create a simple scene with a simple metallic shape (e.g. sphere or cube) in which I can see the sky reflected, working on the Oculus Quest. This might well be impossible, but I haven’t been able to confirm that.

Here is what I have tried:

I’m running UE 4.25.3, installed from the Epic Games Launcher. I’ve created a basic VR template project with the ‘basic VR’ template level (this is the bathtub-like ‘frozen room’ thing with a bunch of shapes). I’ve removed all starter shapes from the scene except a single cube, which I’ve given a completely reflective, metallic material.

In the mobile preview renderer, this is looking just fine, and I can see the clouds of the sky reflected on both the room surface and on the metallic cube. On the Quest, everything is dark or black. The only visible reflections on either the room/bathtub or the cube are from the sun, not the sky.

I have tried to set the skylight to ‘static’, but that makes the entire scene go black. I have tried to use a spherical reflection capture as an alternative to the skylight, but that does not work. I have also tried to load a statically captured cubemap of a sky into the reflection capture, again… great in the Android Preview on my development machine, no visible sky reflections on the Quest.

I’ve read through many posts on this forum and others about mobile reflections, I’ve seen pretty much all the relevant documentation pages, but I can’t get this to work, and I can’t really determine whether or not it is technically possible or impossible. I’m also getting zero response on other fora about this. If somebody could give me a definitive answer on whether or not this is possible, and if so how, I would be very happy.

Thank you in advance!

the VR template set by default some post processing effects so we can’t change it. if you go to you project directory /config/defaultengine.ini open it, u should change the [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings] section. u can make an empty project and capy this section from it then paste it in your vr project file. m sure u will get all reflection in normal play mode but m not sur this would work for VR preview.