Are screenshots and art made with the engine royalty free?

So I make art normally traditionally or via digital means. Besides that I DO make videogames in Unreal Engine. But I have realized that some of my works when making environments in UE4 do interest other people who wish to use them as wallpapers, art, or in commercial games as background art .

This last one is which I am most worried about. Am I liable for the income of other games that use the art that I make in UE4 in other engines even if I sell said backgrounds or splashart to them? Or is it royalty free as long as it’s only screenshots of the environment that I make and not a full fledged game in the engine? I’d love to know if I’m allowed to sell the art that I make with this tool and if others using said art in commercial games makes ME or THEM liable to having to pay royalties for them.

If the answer is quick it’d be appreciated, I have a week to say yes or no to 3 different projects that wish to use what I can create in the engine visually as background art for their games or things like that. oine of said games is commercial too.

2 Likes

You are broadly permitted to distribute images and videos rendered using UE4:

“There is no restriction on your Distribution of a Product made using the Licensed Technology that does not include any Engine Code or any Paid Content Distributed in uncooked source format (in each case, including as modified by you under the License) and does not require any Licensed Technology (including as modified by you under the License) to run (“Unrestricted Products”).”

In addition, no royalty is owed on revenue generated (if any) solely via pre-rendered images/video:

“However, no royalty is owed on the following forms of revenue: … Revenue from an Unrestricted Product, including for clarity, revenue from a Product which solely relies on the Licensed Technology for production of non-interactive linear media (e.g., broadcast or streamed video files, cartoons, or movies) and which is Distributed in a form that does not contain the Licensed Technology or, in order to deliver, rely on servers running the Licensed Technology”