Are most people here using the regular version of Unreal for their projects?

I’m using the 4.12 Oculus forward renderer.

Bonus: you are able to hit that 90 fps much much easier.

Drawbacks: some materials just won’t work. A lot of maps will crash on start up especially if it has target layers.
What version are you using? and for anyone using the regular version how are you hitting 90 fps?

Using a custom 4.13.1 branch with Nvidia’s multires merged in as well as some specific VR fixes. Intend on moving it over to 4.14 and the forward renderer when it releases in full.

Turned off all expensive post processing effects, using clean simple materials, forced a smaller mirrored window, get reliable 90fps on a 1070 up to 200% screen percentage, 250% screen percentage with nvidia multires enabled (no need for 250% really, its overkill but wanted to push it).

Am currently CPU limited not GPU though, I imagine a better cpu would help out.

I’m using 4.13

I don’t know what you mean by “regular” version of unreal. Is there anything else?

I hit 90 FPS by looking at my performance and looking at what areas are dragging down performance. If I’m not hitting 90fps, I need to know why so that I can fix it. There are lots of common culprits (shadows and dynamic lighting being the biggest). I pretty much use every trick in the book I know of to hit 90FPS, and performance targets have a huge influence on the way my levels are designed.

Here’s my rough workflow:
Build level -> performance test -> tweak settings / level -> performance test

I find it difficult to get 90fps in a real level even when turning off all post process, using simplistic materials, and using InstaLOD for proxies of large objects in distant LOD and using Instanced Stereo Rendering. The materials hit for even simple materials seems to be pretty huge.

I was using the Oculus forward branch for a while there but it started crashing on startup for me so I had to switch back. The perf improvement was noticeable, though the lighting tended to go weird (lights disappearing when looking around in VR).

If you are not CPU bound then don’t use instanced stereo, it has a pretty large GPU cost.

Worked a lot with the 4.12 multi-res and Oculus Forward Renderer version. Waiting with great expectations for 4.14, following conversations I had with Epic devs at OC3.

That’s probably a factor, I’m almost certainly not CPU bound. Still, my issues with performance vs. asset quality have been persistent before ISR was in. I can sort of eke out something that runs at 90fps, but I have to sacrifice on the settings quite heavily. Not sure what the answer is, even single-pass forward doesn’t seem all that fast. 90fps is just such a hard target.

I need to update Storyteller to 4.12-4.13 and see if the performance is still as mediocre as it was there - it hit 90fps, but it’s basically an empty scene with 1-2 effects and zero CPU usage. It has a very low amount of geometry, super duper simple materials, etc. and it still performs worse than expected.