Download

ARCore in DayDream/Cardboard VR V4.20.1...

Does anyone else have an issue using ARCore in Daydream? VR works okay and so does the Daydream controller in my project. But when I start the ARSession, I get a message in red at the top that says basically that the ARCore plugin could not be found - which is odd since the plugin is checked in my plugin settings. I have tried with and without the automatic camera overlay checked. I am not using a Google Daydream viewer but rather a viewer that allows the camera of my phone to be unobstructed and therefore should technically work with the Pixel 2 XL phone.

I don’t think it is supported right now without a lot of hacking in the Engine source code. Basically both ARCore and GoogleVR plugins talks to the engine through the same XRSystem interface, which may not be able to working together.

Thanks for the reply, Bo. I tried tonight to only have the Daydream controller plugin without the VR plugin and had a similar issue - adding the Daydream controller pretty much forced you into VR. I suppose I could reinvent the wheel and do the mathes to divide the ARCore positioning in two and add components based on it shifted into 3D space manually. Note, this is something that I think will be needed in the future. As smart phones get higher processing power, it won’t make as much sense being tethered to a desktop or even a high end laptop for an AR experience. I know Magic Leap does some of this, but the price right now for most I believe is prohibitive.
A little more about my project - I am using $60 Haori Mirror AR Headset which leaves my camera free for AR. Because unlike VR, this headset allows me to see everything around me, I can instead use a bluetooth keyboard or mouse as a controller as I can see my hands and physical devices unimpeded. If this can work, I can see inexpensively made true tabletop games as well as architecture pre-visioning. I am already using Unreal with the headset in a pilot project as a vision aid - the prototype is already finished.
Anyway, I appreciate your reply and hope my feedback helps and that I am not alone with this want. Thank you!

Are there any news on support of ARCore tracking in the android VR pipeline (be it a cardboard or daydream headset) ? @RobMilliken have you achieved what you wanted? I am after the same thing currently. There is a plugin and a tutorial for Unity, but I’d like to stay with Unreal for this project.

I have found a quick and dirty way to do it but still needs work. I am traveling now without even a laptop so would like to give screen shots etc. Give me a couple of days and I will update unless someone beats me to it. I just didn’t want you to think I ignored you in the meantime.

Quick ARCore in Android that works with a dual AR type viewer: Load up the ARCore default project in 4.2X+. Drop in some cubes, cones, cylinders, stairs, whatever that can be tracked. This is so you can do a quick test as you can’t easily press the screen to drop these objects, as demo’d in this project originally, if your phone is docked to a headset. Do not add any specific Daydream controllers or VR modes. Instead… Go to Project Settings. Select ‘Maps & Modes’ … Under Local Multiplayer, check Use Splitscreen and for the layout select Vertical.

Add the level blueprint to create an additional player (not sure about the relative transform - I am thinking this is where you can move around the other virtual camera as a 3D offset so that both camera’s aren’t in the exact same place).
Now the camera’s viewport will show a live feed only on the right side. This isn’t desirable if you have an AR headset such as my Haori Mirror AR … so under D_ARSessionConfig, Under Enable Automatic Camera Overlay, uncheck it. When you compile and run you’ll have working tracking with the objects you tossed into the environment earlier.

Now, it can’t be stressed enough that this is a START only - perhaps you the reader can make this better (I am sure most probably can)…

Issues:

• Can’t add a Daydream controller. For reasons Bo Pang mentioned earlier, ARCore and VR controllers are out; they don’t play well together. But if you have a bluetooth controller that come with some more inexpensive headsets (such as the Haori Mirror - one did come with mine) or even a bluetooth keyboard, since you can see your entire environment with the headset on, you can look at those and use them. Still, the Daydream VR controller is huge want. (Many may know that post Unreal 4.18, the laser for the controller doesn’t work anymore anyway in Daydream “mode”…)
  • Tracking is WAY off though it IS there. If you happen to turn on the camera for the right side, you’ll notice, if you have a headset like the Haori Mirror AR, that the live camera feed does not quite match the overlapping ‘real’ environment (on mine it is smaller). I’ve tried to change to Orthographic vs Perspective but that didn’t seem to make much difference. When you move your head, the objects drift badly, though they are more in sync than if you didn’t have this project. I am thinking some math may be involved to get the real and artificial environment to match. Maybe someone is up to the challenge?
  • This isn’t Google sanctioned AR that was designed to do AR - it just doesn’t exist yet as far as I know. The 3D effect, if it even exists, needs to be tweaked. Ultimately, it’d be nice to get an ARCore that would work nicely with the Daydream “mode” for Unreal and work nicely with the controller. Bo Pang - thoughts? Maybe if enough readers, if they want it can upvote the original OP?

I hope this helps some people gets started and I am on the right track myself. Would love to see someone build on this idea.

Thanks for reading,

Rob

Wow @RobMilliken thanks for the guide. Thats a clever use of the split screen. I will try it right away and report back, if I am able to improve on your results

Hello @Mtimofeev have you worked on this approach a little more? or have you found any other solution to this?