ARCore (Augmented Reality) Android Augmented Reality SDK

ARCore
Android Augmented Reality SDK
v
**Updated: 30/08/2017 **

**29/08/2017 - ****With ARCore, shape brand new experiences that seamlessly blend the digital and physical worlds. Transform the future of work and play at Android scale.

ARCore Overview :

ARCore Developers Groups : ARCore | Facebook

Augmented Reality Developers Groups : Unreal Engine - Augmented Reality | Facebook](ARCore | Facebook)

ARCore is a platform for building augmented reality apps on Android. ARCore uses three key technologies to integrate virtual content with the real world as seen through your phone’s camera:

Note: ARCore is being offered as an early preview so that you can start experimenting with building new AR experiences. It’s also an opportunity for you to give feedback on an early version of the API. This preview is the first step in a journey to enabling AR capabilities across the Android ecosystem.
Supported Devices
ARCore is designed to work on a wide variety of qualified Android phones running N and later. During the SDK preview, ARCore supports the following devices:

• Google Pixel and Pixel XL
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U, SM-G950N, SM-G950FD, SM-G950FD, SM-G950W, SM-G950U1)

How does ARCore work?
Fundamentally, ARCore is doing two things: tracking the position of the mobile device as it moves, and building its own understanding of the real world.

ARCore’s motion tracking technology uses the phone’s camera to identify interesting points, called features, and tracks how those points move over time. With a combination of the movement of these points and readings from the phone’s inertial sensors, ARCore determines both the position and orientation of the phone as it moves through space.

In addition to identifying key points, ARCore can detect flat surfaces, like a table or the floor, and can also estimate the average lighting in the area around it. These capabilities combine to enable ARCore to build its own understanding of the world around it.

ARCore’s understanding of the real world lets you place objects, annotations, or other information in a way that integrates seamlessly with the real world. You can place a napping kitten on the corner of your coffee table, or annotate a painting with biographical information about the artist. Motion tracking means that you can move around and view these objects from any angle, and even if you turn around and leave the room, when you come back, the kitten or annotation will be right where you left it.

Super excited for this :smiley:

Me too :slight_smile:
[FONT=-apple-system]EDIT: tested this example project and it does work on the European SM-[FONT=-apple-system]G950F after installing the google arcore.apk as per the instructions :slight_smile:

And we have support for ARCore! Check this post out for more information and expect more resources in the future :slight_smile:

Tested it. deeply disapointed.

Why?
I want to test it too and I want to give my feedback, what was the problem with ARCode and why do you think it’s so bad? How good are you in general in UE?

I am curious to know what disappointed you. Can you please elaborate on your experience?

On the videos it doesn’t look any worse than ARKit for iOS. What’s there to be disappointed about ?

Well simply put:

1. it works only on a specific build of the engine from a very specific git commit. doesnt work with newer up to date proper working version of git ue4.
  2. the google AR generates a “grid” only on flat surface, but what it didnt say is that the surface is only horizontal. apple ar detects all surface.
  3. the precision of S8 real life location predicion is dissapointing.
  4. creating a simple demo of a 2 guys fighting from sequencer to appear on my desk took 24 hours. and the final visual result was terribly poor.
  5. the light detection doesn’t work that well. I dont know if it works at all on ue4, but on unity it does and it’s not really that much usefull
  6. there are exactly 6 ar related object parent class
  7. line tracing from camera to the grid bugs out often.
    In general I dont see how you could build anything playable with this. Just half a year of development too early, just to catch up to apple.
    Deleted the build and the repo. saved dozens of gigabytes of disc space thanks to that. i will try it again in a while. when its like… finished. :wink:

Anyone else has worked with ARCore so far? What was your experience?

@AngelIV, regarding your point 1., according to the available information ARKit cannot detect walls either at this point. swift - How to detect vertical planes in ARKit? - Stack Overflow

For the rest, I believe both AR kits are currently in their infancies, with ARKit probably having some more wrinkles already ironed out.

Cheers,
Marco.

Is anyone has compiled the “UnrealEngine-4.17-arcore-sdk-preview” from source and successed?

I got an ERROR : MSB3075 all the time and i can’t find any other way to build it…

VS2017(1.5.3), Win10

I was so exciting when i heard this AR core SDK, but it looks like i have to wait until the 4.18 come out next month.

Haha you gotta read the manual PROPERLY and follow all of it and its links etc. Then you will be fine.

My cheat-sheet after 4 days of struggling the same way, getting it all running right:

**Windows 10 with latest insider creator update thing

*VS15 community w/ update 3

*after setup.bat, install codeworks, restart, run setup.bat again, then do your projectfiles.

do all the other stuff manual says

Having great fun with ARcore!

Happy to report that the new audio engine is working great. It’s really something with spatialized audio in AR. Can deploy virtual sound-sources and then navigate around apartment with eyes closed…No fumbling!

You can totally skip that comment, it has 0 info, I have made a project on S8, working great and in real life, it works great all the time, again it is a beta version, I have surprised about his comments. In general, I have very good experience playing with ARCore and I hope they going to make improvements by release date.

After my test I was also disappointed that vertical surfaces are not yet detected - will be even better once we have that but obviously both AR kits are still in development and will add this in the future :slight_smile:

HI is ti possible to create a AR app for a low performance device like the sam j1 (obviously low graphics)… if is not which is the constrain ty :slight_smile:

HI is ti possible to create a AR app for a low performance device like the (obviously low graphics)… if is not which is the constrain ty :slight_smile:

That’s great to have augmented reality android. How would that work with a simple device?

Android 8 - doesn’t support AR applcations from Unreal Engine, all phones no longer support existing AR applications due to broken camera bug (black-screen). Please do not update your Android 7 to Android 8, I currently facing this issues and many others, we are discussing about it on this thread:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/vr-ar-development/1450750-ar-samsung-s8-after-upgrade-to-android-8-stopped-work-with-ue4-ar-apps

Will it be possible to use a series of 360 images in the HMD, along with ARCore overlaying 3D meshes I’ve created ? Superimposing my 3D object over the display as it shows the 360 view in response to head rotations ?

I need to use Matterport files with custom objects I’d like to drop over real world items.
like replacing a sofa that was present during the matterport session, with a new improved 3D sofa… as AR over the background 360 image being shoen from each marker.

I’d then also like to set up teleporation locations at the markers, so when I teleport to the next 360 image, I can also see the same AR object from a different perspective

I wont be using Matterport to actually view the room, but the Unreal Engine in combination with my Matterport data.