ARCore Android 11 compatibility

As of August 2021, Google require all new apps uploaded to the Play Store to target API level 30 (Android 11) or above (Meet Google Play's target API level requirement  |  Android Developers).

When packaging an AR app for Android with the Target SDK version set to 30, devices running Android 11 encounter an error saying “This application requires the latest version of Google Play Services for AR”, even though the latest update has been installed from the play store.

It appears that ARCore v1.19 is required for Android 11 compatibility and it seems that even in 4.27 the Unreal plugin only supports ARCore v1.18.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and managed to find a solution?

As a temporary fix, you can edit C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.26/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/AR/Google/GoogleARCore/Source/GoogleARCoreBase/GoogleARCoreBase_API_.xml and set the com.google.ar:core dependency to 1.19.0 before packaging a build. I’ve tested this with multiple phones using Android 11 and via the Google Play store, thus far it has worked every time.

Thanks for the info but didn’t work on my Galaxy S8. i bought this cheap on eBay to create an AR tutorial and am frustrated once again that companies forcing you to buy newer phones. Should I set to 1.18? SHould I try to deploy with UE 4.27? Tutorial is for 5.0 but I can fudge this part