Archviz animation with UE4

Hello,

After seeing the incredible results that koola got out of this engine, I just had to try it out for myself.
Here is my first test made with Unreal engine 4. It’s nothing crazy, just a simple scene to understand the basics of Unreal.

This lighting looks as good as koola’s!! So realistic!!!

Tutorial…Please?

Please give us a breakdown of your work

What about an ingame walkthrough, rather than showcasing specific angles. I would like to see it as if walking through it. To see what a game would look like with this.

Amazing yet again.
Matchig Koola’s Viz pound for pound.
The power of UE4 and yet its still in its infancy stage. We are in for treat guys in the coming months.

Now Epic needs to reproduce these settings and make them available as an option setting

^ To be honest I haven’t seen any difference between using or not using those values. My build time is the same.
I do however see difference when cranking up the amount of light bounces and increasing the light quality and decreasing slightly the smoothness, which you can find in the world setting.

But don’t take my word as gospel. Maybe i’m just doing it wrong. I did however edit the baselightmass in the engine (4.4) folder.
(checked my project folder ‘lightmass’ and its updated, which means i’m doing it correctly).

Same here. When I tweak the baselightmass.ini. I don’t notice any difference but I notice the lighting takes longer to build. I am wondering if graphics card also plays a part in this. I am using a GTX 780M. Thats should give more realistic results.I think world settings might play a bigger role in this for some scenes than others.

I changed the lightmass settings for the realistic demo and it took similar time to build (2-3minutes)
My test archviz which i may post in a new thread takes 5-10 seconds to build so idk…

I have a i7 Sandy Bridge 26k, GTX 760 4GB Ram and 16GB Memory.

I also know lighting build takes alot of my memory. maybe its cause of the amount of memory i have.

The mountain landscape on the other hand freezes (or just takes too long for my patients aka hours…) anytime i try to build it.
its pretty much unbuildable.

Maybe the GTX 700 series don’t work well with ue4??I think I am going to focus on using the world settings from now on since I don’t get much results with the baselightmass.ini parameters.

I believe i saw a post a few days ago from a UE engineer saying that most of the settings that were being paraded around actually does nothing and that all we need to change is in the world settings.
So I don’t think its the GTX series. I think the settings file is a classic placebo effect.

The lighting settings I used are the exact same as Koola posted in his thread. I modified the baselightmass.ini and put the light bounces to 100, increased the light quality and decreased the smoothness. For the rest I just used the sun as only light in my scene. I didn’t use the reflector technique because I didn’t play with that yet. I have to make some tests for this.

WOW! Awesome job dbalex! That video presentation is phenomenal. It looks very photo realistic. Keep up the great work and I can’t wait to see what you decide to work on next!

Nice job!
Can you please share your camera setting for DOF.

The dof settings are really not universal. You need to tweak them for every point of view. You just have to play with them until you’re satisfied.
Here you can see settings for 2 different views. As you can see from the screenshots the settings are totally different.

b3d3ad841b001a286ddad9b961fcfb60a2f7db86.jpeg

Beautiful! It would be really interesting to see the material setup - diffuse, normal gloss and if possible the structure inside of unreal. Im having a hard time translating my vray materials to this engines lightsystem.
Anyway, this is some great renders! Looking forward seeing more stuff

What’s Archviz, I keep hearing this term.

Nice rendering by the way.

I think it’s Architectural visualization.

Thanks for the info.

I was searching around regarding how exactly lighting builds and what resources it uses. An Epic rep had mentioned most of the lighting build does indeed come from your CPU. I know when I build lighting scenes trying to reproduce this effect, my cores max out pretty hard and for well over 10 minutes.

As a side note, I’ve been following koola’s setup. I still cannot get a result that matches his or your work. It’s quite confusing to me. So this setup as I see you’ve mentioned is just a directional light. Is this utilizing lightmass and baking indirect lighting or ignoring lightmass and injecting light via a light propagation volume?

Additionally, lights have an indirect illumination multiplier, the light propagation volume settings has an intensity multiplier, and the post process volume (at the very bottom) has a global illumination rollout that has the ability to toggle on GI and GI color multiplying … I have no idea which controls what, if their functions stack, etc.

Anyway, looks great :slight_smile:

yeah I’m lost as to how you guys do all this, anyone want to impart on their fantastic knowledge?

Sorry for the late reply but I’ve been very busy.

I didn’t use any particular trick. Just the settings Koola used except I have only one directional light.
Here you can see a screenshot of my lightmass settings
85a1e779b2edfcf751f5ee1803b6874d83278702.jpeg

I didn’t use light propagation volume or the GI from the post process volume (thanks for the tip, I didn’t know that was there:))
I use postprocess volume just to adjust overall brightness and stuff like that. No particular trick.

For the directional light, here are the settings:
2014-09-17 16 57 54.jpg
Like you can see nothing fancy, no tricks.

I think the key is having big lightmap resolutions like 1024 or even 2048pixels, making good uv mapping for the lightmaps is important also. Be sure to have nothing overlapping.