AR Camera overlay not working in 4.26 (ARKit)

When using the AR template project or any other AR projects, there is no camera overlay just black

323999-cameraoverlay2.png

I have checked and Enable Automatic Camera Overlay is set to true in the session config

I have also tried adding a post-process material to the camera and setting the camera overlay texture in BP, this doesn’t work.

I’ve also tried disabling Mobile HDR and changing AA method

Am I missing something here? This has worked fine in all other versions but now seems to be broken. I am testing on iPad 4th gen and iPhone SE

Sadly I can’t help but I have exactly the same issue. But on my end the app just crashes when the AR session should start. Launch Screen does show up.

Hi, thanks for that important info, but on the other hand I really hope that’s not the case. This would mean we would have to have two separate branches for each project if we want to support old and new devices :frowning: But it could very well be…because some of the depth features are only supported on newer devices I guess.

I have just bought an iPhone XR and it works fine on there. Seems it’s just the older devices that are not supported.

I think 4.26 is no longer supporting ARKit 2.0 which is what the older IOS devices use. ARKit 3.0 is only supported on the newer iPhones/iPad which have the A12 Bionic chip or better like the iPhone XR or XS

I’ve found that a project made with ARKit on version 4.26.1 also shows a black background screen on my iPhone 6s when it is loaded. After searching and using other solutions found on Unreal forums I discovered that after loading the same AR project onto version 4.25.4 the scene opened perfectly! Version 4.26.1 seems to be the culprit…

Have same issue on iPad Pro 10.5 (2017)…

I think there are some bugs on UE4.26.2 which is not support the old devices, i figure it out with the source engine,if you use launch version , i think you can try this:

use ARKitCameraMaterial from UE4.25 to replace M_PassthroughCamera from UE4.26.2 ARUtilities/Materials folder, ,change the name to “M_PassthroughCamera” then it should works, but be careful, just copy that material, don’t try to change the content inside, i don’t why, it always lack of a function(depreciated on 4.26) if try to change it and apply.

It works for all the AR function that i used, not sure if there is any effect on other feature like AR Occlusion.

By the way do you guys know how to implement AR Occlusion on IOS? I struggle a lot with that, please let me know if you have any hint

@RapidBlaze Have you tried using 4.27? It’s possible that with 4.27 older iOS devices are supported again. Haven’t tested it myself yet but it could be worth a shot since there are also other fixes for iOS with Preview 2.

I just tried the default project on 4.27 preview 2. It works!

Now I will try to upgrade a working project to 4.27

That are great news! Thanks for letting us know. By the way I’ve recently started a Discord dedicated to Unreal Engine mobile AR developers. Here the invitation link if you want to join: UEARDEVS

Its not always that accurate but i was able to use AR Occlusion like this on IOS

Thanks for your information, person will occlude the AR Plane in your case?

Yeah person segmentation is enabled in this example

I don’t know why, i implement the this material instance for the Mesh, with this ARConfig, on my side the mesh keeps transparent after it generate

I think the material is displaying the camera image, which is kind of transparent, but i think cause i use this material instead original material, so it only keeps transparent? I think i might need to kind of combine two material? I don’t really know

So the material is not displaying the camera image?