April #UE4JAM, April 14-17th. THEME: SPRING INTO THE FUTURE

Let’s do this ,hope this time i do it better than last time :slight_smile:
One man size team : xixgames
Best of luck for all

Core game first with blocks/primitives.

Then prioritize all the rest from there. I like functional menus -> Basic Sound -> Mesh replacement, but workflows are really up to you. Idea being that at any point you can build, ship, and have something that is playable.

If it ends up a mess, it’s half the fun :slight_smile:

Edit: Since marketplace and Learning resources are free to use for game jam entries, many people take advantage of them as well if it fits their game.

I Just want to Know if in the Last game jam they forget to inform that you needed to say what assets you made or not… Or now you can use others stuff without saying.I feel that this is going to be unfair to People that always do their stuff.

Lazysniper, if you include a list of all the premade stuff you use under a heading “Noted Assets” in a credits screen or somewhere on the submission thread, you’ll be ok. As long as you declare it.

If you use marketplace assets that’s okay as well.

I Know I have entered in several game jams but in the Last one ,they forgot to say that in the submission thread and People did games with complex models from the Internet and they didnt declared that. Do you understand what I mean?

Beginner here! I’m gonna participate in this jam but I would really like a team. I’m a 3D modeler and texture artist so mostly looking for programmers and or idea guys.

Hey guys,

Seeing LD48 and UE4Jam overlap this weekend,

extra points for those that fit BOTH the Ludum dare theme and UE4Jam and enter both with the same entry :smiley:

I was thinking about it overnight, it should be doable, seeing by the end of day 2 I mostly have an unpolished prototype.

Good luck!

Generally, if the assets are freely available for all (cc0 stuff, public domain stuff, all available to the general public) and if the public license for that asset allows the asset to be put into a game jam game (and by proxy) Epic promotional material (so basically CC0 or Public Domain), it’s okay to use.

Assets that are NOT okay to use are any assets that are made before the jam that are not publicly available to all.

Marketplace assets are okay (available to all and all have licenses to ).

Learning Content tab assets are okay (available to all).

I wouldn’t put too much worry into good looking assets, as the past couple jams have been won almost entirely by games with very, very few assets (a bat, a ball, and a couple clouds made of spheres won one of the top games last time…as well as another game that used mostly primitives to build). How fun the game is seems to trump everything else.

A lot of people started doing jams during the September mega jam where you HAD to list if you created all the assets yourself, as there were additional prizes (sponsored by Substance? I think?) that were based on graphical fidelity alone, so I think that’s a holdover. Or if you are using a LOT of high quality assets and want to give credit (indicate where else could have gotten them) or need to due to the license you are using the assets under (cc-0 by attribution).

But generally, as long as you are pulling from your own work or work that is freely available to all (and that all are licensed to put into your game), you should be okay.

Edit: Again, I wouldn’t worry too much about high fidelity models. The stuff on the learn tab should do pretty well (there is a LOT of stuff there, especially in the Infinity blade stuff). If the game is fun, it doesn’t matter a whole lot as to what it looks like. Make something you are proud of :slight_smile:

Actually it is mentioned in the detailed rules: Submission may include sourced (non-original) assets, but the sourced assets must be noted.

I think the reasoning is only half true. The rules state: …] nor may the Submission include third-party copyrighted material or artwork, without the copyright holder’s permission. By entering, you warrant that your Submission does not infringe any third party’s rights, and that you have obtained any necessary permissions from all relevant third parties to submit the Submission. IMO this doesn’t exclude assets that are not publicly available to all. You just have to make sure that you have all the needed rights to publically release your game.

Again I’m not sure if this is correct, looking at the rules: *Submission must not include assets created prior to the Contest period (outside of noted sourced assets). * I think this rule is meant to take away the advantage off a team that has created many games and assets before which they could use now in the game jam. But where to draw the line? Is a plugin/asset-pack/etc. I’ve created and published before the game jam a sourced asset and therefore excluded from this rule? Or are ‘sourced assets’ only 3rd party assets? If so, you would e.g. not be allowed to use your stuff from the marketplace but only the assets created by others. So it all depends on the meaning of ‘sourced assets’.

Since the overall look is one of three judging criteria, it apparently matters what the game looks like. So high fidelity models can give you an advantage. But they are no guarantee, because the overall looks matters, not the look of one model. So IMHO was the overall look of the last winning games consistent and good, which therefore probably meet the criterion.

I have done various prototyping before, I’ve just never tried to build a complete game from the ground up by myself in such a short period of time. :smiley: I keep thinking I should make a library of multi-purpose meshes to box it out with but that would defeat the purpose of doing it all this way.

I hope 's animations are allowed, I’m tragically unskilled at building anims.

To avoid this problem I would recommend that in the submission thread the Rule of " note the assets that were not made by you" is used so There is a fair competition. Dont you guys agree?

I’ll probably not have enough time this weekend but depending on theme and inspiration I’ll probably try to do LudumDare and the Jam together.

Anyone need a sound designer? :slight_smile:

I can’t promise I will be as active this weekend as I would like to necessarily but I could always use assistance in the sound department. I’m not on here as often as I am on Reddit though. I will check back here when possible but my username over there is mikehaysjr

Definitely agree with that.

So the theme is “Spring into the future”. First thing I do after the announcement is ask our team’s captain, @unrealbot, what we should do and he commands we make a game about assassinating trees under water.

http://puu.sh/oia2V/d58d69aa40.png

So… “spring”, shooting trees under water. The RNG gods are in my favor :stuck_out_tongue:

TBH I’m not sure that the amount of 3rd party assets is considered in judging the games, like I’m not sure if the team size is a judging criterion. I think these rules are not for fairness but to avoid copyright infringement.

But with more assets sometimes you can create better environments .

I’ve seen some games win that didn’t use any 3rd party ■■■■■, basically just starter content. So I don’t think its a big aspect… I think its originality and how fun the game is.

Hi guys, like last time, I will be streaming on Twitch over the next 3 days. Come say hi?

Have fun!