Applying Displacement Dynamically Using Masks/Vector Values?

What I’m wanting to do is be able to hit somewhere on a static mesh, and apply displacement to that exact/approximate location on the mesh. Is there a way to gather a hit location on a mesh and translate a value from that to a material value to mask in/out displacement? This would be for a tree cutting system. If need be I can handle just applying displacement based on hitting in a certain section of the log of the tree, IE forcing the hit location on a the tree to a certain height on it from the ground, like in The Forest, but I’d want to be able to dynamically add displacement around the circumference of the log, even if it’s just locked to a certain height of it.

Not the slightest clue dude…

Check out my thread about a L4D2 style dismemberment/wound system - you can use the same principle for placing your wounds. Basically you’ll want to just mask in your displacement material instead of using it as opacity.

I just tried this one with tessellation and construction script.
This is just for testing and it’s far from perfect.

QQ截图20151107225615.png

Sorry it’s a little messy :slight_smile:

Oh man, that looks like exactly what I need though! I could definitely mask this into the existing setup I’m using to apply the displacement dynamically in chunks as opposed to simultaneously around the circumference of the tree! Thank you so much for sharing that!

https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55cb8e61ff93cec55ad6ff1b/1280x720/4c389313d4cac9738e1337ba4fb89da9/treecutcolorcorrection.gif

I was able to use a portion of your system and mask it into the hit ring painted with vertex colors on the mesh itself, and boom, locational displacement :smiley: I can spawn an actor that feeds the displacement location when the axe hits, and it’ll displace the geometry :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your help!

You are welcome, I’m so glad that it helps.
Have a nice day!