APK Spam vs New Users

Could you please address the insistent APK spam that has been plaguing the forums for months now; here’s the very top of the front page as of the moment of writing:

These posts are always from new users, in the same format and include a link that gathers hundreds of click-throughs within an hour. It’s a nuisance and a security risk. Reporting accomplishes little, it seems, with dozens upon dozens months-old tickets pending moderation:

Legitimate new users do not post links unless it’s YouTube or somehow related to the UE ecosystem. New users want to post screenshots of their blueprints / code and ask numerous repetitive questions. Let them. Perhaps a shift in restrictions would deter some of the spammers and make life easier for others:

• new users can only post whitelisted domains
  • increase the number of allowed posts for new users
  • increase the number of images new users can include in a single post
  • flagging posts as Spam should hide the post unless moderated otherwise - this works in some sections of the forums, but not others

Not sure who to tag here, who’s the Epic Security Officer around these parts? :innocent:

edit: and to further prove my point, 10 minutes later:

Someone found an avenue for some illicit activity that is now facilitated by the forums :expressionless:

I flagged several posts as spam. And surprise, all my ticked were closed as NOT SPAM or not violating rules. So no more flagging from me, pointless.

I think they are spreading some backdoors/malware in those apk. Just download one and check on virustotal.

You’re missing out on the new, cool and free captcha minigame where you must select the Odd One Out! Engage mental faculties in order to report mindless posts. We’ve come a full circle.

I used to report them but I immediately gave up once they “improved” the report button :confused:

2 Likes

Yup second login to another page. Well i endured it just for nostalgia (as FORMER volunteer mod here), but recently i looked closer and all my suffering with second login, was dismissed. :smiley:

Looking into this.

Cleaning them up now and we’ll watch out for more. Thanks for calling this to our attention!