Anything for VR?

Hi, is there anything VR related in this UE5 preview?

The VR template is set to forward so no Lumen and setting it to deferred makes no difference in visuals. It’s all either lit or pitch black for not directly lit surfaces.

Trying the FPS example, Lumen works in the scene view, but launching it in VR turns all the visual features off.

Did anyone make any of this work with VR?

Did anyone at Epic ever mention any plans for VR? Or is Lument never gonna happen in VR?

2 Likes

I think they are leaving VR to Unity. No VR love from Epic for a few versions now

1 Like

Same experience here. But I’m crossing my fingers that Lumen and Nanite will at least have a basic VR support in the 2022 release. :pray: Especially since Hardware Tesselation (and LPV as it seems) is not available anymore. So without any of it I won’t be able to upgrade my current UE4 VR project, which relies on both.

Hitting VR preview in the ValleyOfTheAncient demo crashes UE5 instantly for me - it was at least worth a try. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Same here… That is because it is heavy with Lumen and Nanite and probably other features that are not supported in UE5-EA. For example, at best right now, Nanite works in only one eye, not both. Lumen doesn’t work at all, etc.

Yup, same for me. Instant crash

My best guess would be that once Sony releases their VR HMD for the PS5, Epic will most likely put some love and attention for VR into UE5…since Epic is totally embracing the PS5 as console of choice.

I did get Lumen working in VR with a Brushify project converted to UE5. Still testing but it does work with Instanced Stereo=off.

Stereo Instancing is still broken in UE5 just as is was in earlier versions. Turning it off helps to get both eye’s working for VR for the most part.

Can you explain the steps you took to get lumen to work without instanced stereo?

From what their live videos said on the subject… they say lumen will not be supported at all for VR, but Nanite will support vr in final release.

1 Like

Thanks, I also noticed that, but i was curious regarding the statement from @PhoenixSpyder.

My own tests only show the virtual shadow maps for light sources working, which is already a nice improvement over the old lightmaps, but not the GI or reflections of lumen.

I just set the settings in the Rendering section of thr project as:

• instanced stereo - off
  • Lumen - Initially tried Hardware Ray tracing enabled but also tried disabling (not much diference either way)
  • Software Raytracing - Global (for better perf)
  • also using Deffered rendering (I prefer it for the extra features, rather than Forward, too much extra programing to get Forward to do certain things in VR)

That’s about it…the performance was not that great (even on my 3090 system) but still playable on my Rift S. ASW kicked in and out from 90fps to 45fps depending on how close I was to the grass with the shadows. Shadows looked much better than what I’m use to…but the performance suffers too much for VR. I can see why Epic isn’t going to support it for VR.

Maybe a future UE5 version may support it but that will most likely be way in the future…

It’s best to stay with the normal methods of lighting we have presently for VR.

2 Likes

In the last stream they said Lumen will not support VR.

Forget lumen, just disable it for now and try. If anyone has like a psvr and a ps5 or something, will you give me the results?

Or an RTX 2080/s pc with 8 cores (Basically ps5 specs) on mixed reality.