Anyone interested in teaching a high-school student UE4 programming ?

Yup. It’s just as the title says. I am searching for a ‘teacher’ to teach me UE4 programming. I’ve been programming C++ for almost 4 years now and am 100% fluent in C++. However, when it comes to UE4, I tried getting accustomed to it’s programming the last 10 days (about 60 hours) and just couldn’t do it. I’m not here to complain for the lack of useful documentation, I am here to ask for a teacher.

PS: I am very a very determined 17 year old high-school student.
PPS: Sorry if I’m rude.

There are some people on this forums who offer counseling/tutoring:

[PAID] One on One Tutor Sessions Now Available! - Looking For Work? - Unreal Engine Forums!

I’m guessing you’re already familiar with the video tutorials, but here’s the link anyway in case you are not:

There’s a pretty detailed tutorial for creating a basic first person shooter from the ground up with C++. I think it would probably be a good idea for you to give it a try. I haven’t done it yet myself, but here’s the link:

Also, here’s a good page for understanding how to interface to and from BluePrints and how to expose C++ classes as usable BluePrints:

Even as a C++ programmer, you should still learn the BluePrint system. You will be expected to know it on any project you work on, even if you mostly do internal C++ work.

Expecting someone to teach you and help you out all the time is kind of unreliable. It would be wise for you and your programming career if you learn to become good at exploring code bases on your own and through reading the basic documenation to get started.

I’ve worked for a AAA studio, and in a game company you are expected to be mostly autonomous except for when it comes to asking about the intent behind features and functions and the overall architecture of systems.

I have to learn a lot of stuff on an on-the-fly basis. You really need to set yourself up with a goal if you want to learn any software/language/whatever. If you just switch it on and have a fiddle you’ll never get anywhere. If you can find someone to pay you to produce something then you’ll be amazed at what you’ll learn by necessity.

Maybe the community could have friendly competitions - contest 1 could be a lander type game. Do the best you can in 3 weeks: learn some new stuff, push yourself, ask for help. Could be a fun side to the community?

Dan

Yeah, that might be a good idea.

Having concrete tasks to do is definitely very helpful for learning, so I second that suggestion.

Marron (OP), try to think of an extremely simple game to get start with, something that can be completed with only slight modifications to one of the templates. For example, your goal could just be to go through some maze or set of physics obstacles to reach a goal point and then display a “win” message or particle effect and after a little bit close the game.

Sometimes it’s also useful to just make little individual devices or mechanisms. For example, create a trip wire (a little particle effect line, plus an automatic alarm that goes off if the player touches it).

Think up as many small independent mechanisms you can and make them. After that try getting your mechanisms to interact as part of a more cohesive whole.

The ContentExamples project you can download in the marketplace has an especially high number of examples in the various levels.