Anti-Aliasing problem

Hey guys,

We are making a small game for uni assignment and we ran into a problem of ghosting/smearing (not sure which term is the right one here, I encountered both while googling to solve it). It’s unreal 5.1.1. It’s the most visible with post-processing outline effects, Niagara lasers and numbers (text render components) above enemy heads during movement but it happens with flipbook material and most Niagara effects in the level. I figured it’s probably connected to anti-aliasing (we use TSR) but I don’t know what to do with it. Some other AA methods breaks visuals like text render components and even UTAA still has some of the same visual problems although to a lesser extent.

When AA is turned off it does not happen at all.

We have a post-process volume, but I’ve tried turning it off and it doesn’t affect the smearing.

Meshes are set to movable in cases like guard robots.

Tried turning “Motion Blur” off – didn’t make a difference.

Changed “Velocity Pass” to “Write During base pass” – didn’t help.

Output velocities due to vertex deformation, turned “on” – didn’t help.

When I switch from TSR to UTAA it’s less visible but still pretty visible.

Default Renderer motion vector setting – precise

While i was looking here and on Epic forums one person said something along the lines of “If the TAA is causing it, you can use commands to change the frame weighting, so it blends historical frames less” – couldn’t find the commands.

I would get it if it was only outline and laser problem, they are small, but this happening to numbers and bigger niagara particles doesn’t seem like a normal AA artifact to me. Not an expert on UE though. Any ideas or directions? There is a lot of discussion about this but i’m kinda wandering around and clicking 100 different settings without any idea at this point.

2023-05-22 12-01-03.mkv (26.0 MB)

r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight

Start typing a command like “temporal” in the box and it will list a bunch of relevant options you can experiment with.

Blur is usually caused by motion vectors or a lack of them messing with the TAA/TSRs ability to compensate for the motion. As such, it can also usually be fixed by messing with the motion vectors, like with the previous frame switch node.

just incase test out these commands/settings for TAA