Animating a Blueprint Actor

Hi, so I’m trying something entirely new for me. I wanted to create an extremely simple character. It’s pretty much a sphere body with sphere arms and feet that have been stretched into capsule shapes. What I was wondering is if there is a way to animate it. I’ve looked around online and I was seeing a lot of things with static meshes being converted into skeletal meshes. I’m not sure how to create my own static mesh within the editor. I know that there are options like Blender or Maya out there, but I wasn’t sure if there was a way to do any of this in the editor before I start learning Blender.

There might be in 5 ( I’m not always up to date ), but previously you had to rig the mesh in an external product.

1 Like

Ok, I actually just spent all night learning the basics of Blender and made what I wanted. It’s all rigged up. Do you know if there are any ways I can create animations (i.e. walking, running, idle) within the engine?

While somewhat possible to do in-engine, it is highly recommended that you create animations in external software like Blender, using mocap or manual keyframing. Because this takes a lot of time I recommend using the standard epic human skeleton using free animation asset packs and modelling your simple mesh around this skeleton.

*also, take a look at ALS (Advanced Locomotion System), it’s free and sets up animation blueprint and state machines which exist to automatically blend between animations. Setting that up yourself is complex and time consuming.

1 Like